The Wizard's Suggestions II

Undying Wizard

hello all I'm back, go to my orignal thread and read the last post

I'm goin to start back up again since I have alot more time now--- I guess since I have the most viewed thread in the metal section I should return

ohh and if you all think I should add to my 1st thread instead of making a new one let me know.

soon I will return but for now it's way past my bed time I have to be to class in 6 hours.

just wanted you all to know I'm back for a longer stay than before

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A coincidence?

Just the last few days I thought, "where is wizard?" First I thought you were unaptly named, but now I see you do indeed live on.

:D This one or the old one, up to you.

well I have made my choice to start this thread up, make some changes then how I did things before , and well here it goes......

the band I will suggest today is really not rare but they kick ass, alot of you may or may not have heard of them

Today's Band is Dismember, good album is Massive Killing Capacity

alot of people didn't think that was a good album but it reminds me a little of six feet under for some reason.

here's a little about the band:

Dismember was originally formed as a trio in Stockholm, Sweden, in 1988 by David Blomqvist, Robert Sennebäck and Fred Estby. Within 18 months they had released two demos called "Dismembered" and "Last Blasphemie", both of which became very popular. The band has since then undergone several line-up changes. In late 1989 the band broke up with Blomqvist and Estby joining the new upcoming band Carnage. In early 1991 Carnage broke up when Michael Amott left to join the British Carcass. The remaining Carnage members Estby, Matti Kärki and Blomqvist decided to resurrect Dismember.

The newly reborn Dismember trio recorded a new demo called "Reborn In Blasphemy", after which Sennebäck returned to the band and Richard Cabeza from Carbonized joined in on bass. With the completion of the line-up they were offered a couple of record contracts and decided to sign with the German Nuclear Blast. In early 1991 Dismember recorded their debut album "Like An Ever Flowing Stream" in Sunlight Studio which was released in May. In June 1991 they went on their first European tour with Morbid Angel which ended before it was completed because of disagreements with the headliner.

In March 1992 they released a 5-track EP called "Pieces" and in May-July they went on a new tour through Europe together with Napalm Death and Obituary. In July they were subjects of an obscenity trial at Her Magistrates Court in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK, where the band's lyrics to the track "Skin Her Alive" were described as "hideous, frightfull and repulsive to the senses... liable to inspire a sense of violence in the listener". However the magistrate decided that the lyrics were not intended to inspire criminal acts. They now started working on their new album "Indecent And Obscene".

Soon after the release they went on their first American tour, followed by anouther European one. Dismember has become one of the leading brutal death metal bands in the world and in early 2001 they went from Nuclear Blast to the Dutch upcoming label Hammerheart Records

post-6-1083263592.jpg

I love the album covers for Metal Bands. Why do the artists who make them tend to be more creative than alot of other genres??

In early 1991 Carnage broke up when Michael Amott left to join the British Carcass.

Is the band called British Carcass or are you referring to a British band called Carcass?

If it's the latter, is it the same Carcass that released the Heartwork album? If so, I didn't realize they were British. Good music though.

:psychofun:

Is the band called British Carcass or are you referring to a British band called Carcass?

If it's the latter, is it the same Carcass that released the Heartwork album? If so, I didn't realize they were British. Good music though.

about the british part Im not sure I got that part from a website,,,

I was wondering the same thing tho, but Im almost sure they mean Carcass

I do belive Carcass is a British band.. but not sure--- I'll do some research about tht..

actually DUDEASINCOOL, you should answer that your the one who's best at it--- I'll give you 14 hours from now to answer it and in the meantime I will look over a few things

since dudeasincool was my righthandman in Wizard's part 1 he my as well do some things here---

cause now I plan on addin band info myself and thts wht dude use to do I gotta make sure he does somthing,, right ??? LOL

cant just cut him off like tht

(edit) ohh and this thread is barly a day old and has had over 60 views, but only 6 replys-- come on people just cause it says wizard's suggestions doesnt mean you cant add to it that was one thing that made me stop before but I never made ir clear that this is a thread for all to add to,,, dont be shy I wont talk shit if I dont like the metal you suggest-- even if it sounds like crapy Korn music --- I'll try any band out once

Edited by Undying Wizard

ohh and one thing I should probaly have PM a mod about this but

in the forum list where you can go to diffrent music , under metal is what it say

Heavy/Pop/Nu/Death/Black/Screamers/Extreme

Forum Led by: ASUmusicMAN, Umma

please remove the pop part,,, there is not a thing tht has to do with metal and POP--- if that POP part stays there I swear if its still there in a week from now I will never post here again,,, sorry to be mean but really remove that POP crap from the metal forum or eles Im gone for sure this time,, I wantto get a real good thread goin, like I meant to before but that pop thing is scary ( makes me think umm boop hansoon LOL )

please remove tht crap, metal has NOOO POP inless the amp blows up

Edited by Undying Wizard

please remove the pop part; there is not a thing that has to do with metal and POP--- if that POP part stays there I swear if it's still there in a week from now I will never post here again. sorry to be mean but really remove that POP crap from the metal forum or else I'm gone for sure this time. I want to get a real good thread goin, like I meant to before but that pop thing is scary ( makes me think umm boop Hanson LOL )

please remove that crap, metal has NOOO POP unless the amp blows up

I have to scream my agreement about this. If you are going to place Pop here, you might as well have one general category called Music and dump everything into it.

I consider myself an avid listener of metal music and I have never heard a category called "Screamers." This almost sounds like a stereotype that people use who do not understand the metal music they are listening to. Music is not classified, IMO, by the way the lead singer sounds. It is categorized by the music first, then most likely the lyrics, followed by the singer.

I also have a little trouble with the term "Extreme." Just what is this supposed to represent? If the music posted here is of decent caliber, all of it can be considered extreme. That is, unless you are referring to the band Extreme, although labeling them as metal is most likely an overstatement. Hard Rock at the best. I will say that Nuno Bettencourt is an awesome guitarist though.

PS. - what's wrong with "Mmmmm Bop"? :bigsmile:

This might belong is a separate topic, but speaking of having "pop" and "extreme" and "screamers" as subcategories of metal, what is your favorite or preferred subcategory? Do you even try to separate bands into subcagetories?

I used think there were only two subcategories - metal I like, and metal I don't like. I still think that for the most part, but in searching for new stuff to listen to I sometimes find it helpful to check out bands from specific subcategories.

I tend to like power metal or traditional metal the most, although sometimes I might check out progressive metal and death metal bands.

How 'bout you? What kinda metal do you like best?

Tic3

I understand your message but I was not the one to categorize in the first place. As UDW and I have pointed out, Pop is inappropriate. Perhaps there should be no sub-heading on this forum. Metal is metal. Regardless of whether it is techno-metal or glam metal, I doubt anyone would be so confused enough to place it under The 50's or Classical.

Personally I do not sort anything I own into sub-categories. I do believe they are necessary for the sake of differentiating between the bands, however. This is normally done between metalheads who try to pinpoint the specific style of metal a band plays. It basically acts as a reference and narrows down multiple choices.

I like all types of metal. The 4 you mentioned and then some. Depending on who you ask, there can be just "Metal" or 20 different types. By the time I have brainstormed a portion of them, I could have enjoyed a few songs and a beer.

I really wouldent have left if the POP thing wasent removed I was just trying to make a point.

for some reason I thought about todays band dew to the POP thing when Lord Of The Dense said somthing about Glam

todays band is " Odin " good album is 'Dont Take NO For a Answer'

( I thought about this band when LOTD said somthing about Glam because this band in the 80's dressed like girls but thier music is black metal , and they kick ass)

I wanted to do what I do what I did with the last band I posted about, but there is no info I could find about this band on the net.

all I could find about them is this ( the song list for the album I spoke about

1. 3:57 1 the writer

2. 2:32 2 one day to live

3. 5:28 3 shinning love

4. 4:26 4 soloar eye

5. 2:24 5 dont take no for an answer

6. 4:18 6 judgement day

7. 3:00 7 little gypsy

8. 3:50 8 she needs my love

9. 3:30 9 no reason to run

10. 3:10 10 over your head

11. 4:22 11 she was the one

12. 3:06 12 play the fool

13. 1:54 13 matter of time

14. 3:51 14 judgement day

15. 5:33 15 midnight flight

16. 6:34 16 the blade

this is what you call a RARE BAND,,,, if you can find info on them please post it - I looked for the last 30 mins for info and almost didnt want to post about them cause I didnt have any info on them---- but hey this thread is about rare bands so here you go...

DUDEASINCOOL get to work your good at geting info

this is the only post I plan on posting with no album cover-info,,,,,, but that proves this is a rare band

ohh and Im glad that POP crap was removed... THNX !

>

I know....I was just trying to make conversation and get everyone's opinion on the whole sub-category thing.

If you know who likes what, it's easier to make recommendations based on that info.

:bigsmile:

Tic3

when i first started exploring metal, i had no idea there were all these categories. i found them on some metal sites and search engines. i subtracted pop already. we can subtract or add more--so its good the EXPERTS are chiming in. the categories must have some relevance as you are categorizing stuff yourself. so let me know if you want more changes and what they should be

ohh and one thing I should probaly have PM a mod about this but

in the forum list where you can go to diffrent music , under metal is what it say

Heavy/Pop/Nu/Death/Black/Screamers/Extreme

Forum Led by: ASUmusicMAN, Umma

please remove the pop part,,, there is not a thing tht has to do with metal and POP--- if that POP part stays there I swear if its still there in a week from now I will never post here again,,, sorry to be mean but really remove that POP crap from the metal forum or eles Im gone for sure this time,, I wantto get a real good thread goin, like I meant to before but that pop thing is scary ( makes me think umm boop hansoon LOL )

please remove tht crap, metal has NOOO POP inless the amp blows up

the forum names are an admin thing so we can blame them ! :bigsmile:

I deny everything...

and thanks for pointing out the faux pas Wiz.... you're doing a great job :good job:

the forum names are an admin thing so we can blame them !

Nah, blame the Dude, who blames the stupid metal site that had it listed :duck hunt:

well todays band is not really that rare but alot of people havent heard of them and I think every metal fan should listen to one of the best damn bands there is

so todays band is... " Venom " good album is ' Black Metal '

here's some info about the band..........

ORIGIN : Newcastle, Great Britain

STYLE : Black metal

LABEL : Steamhammer Records / SPV

Venom was originally called Guillotine and was formed in Newcastle, Great Britain in the late 1970's. In December 1978 the band changed their name to Venom. Many claim that the band was first known as Oberon but Oberon was the band of future Venom members Tony Bray and Clive Archer and actually existed alongside Venom for a while. In August 1979 Jeffrey Dunn met Clive Archer at a Judas Priest gig in Newcastle and later on Jeff decided to let Clive and his drummer try out for the vacant spots in Venom (their drummer and singer had mysteriously left the band in July).

In November 1979 Jeffrey Dunn met Conrad Lant at a friend's place and soon Conrad was also part of Venom. In February 1980 the band's bass player left less than one week before their first gig at the Meth in Wallsend on Friday 15th February. Conrad then picked up the bass (he was originally a guitarist) and the band was able to perform after all. On April 29th 1980 Venom entered the studio to record their first demo which included three songs - "Angel Dust", "Raise The Dead" and "Red Light Fever". They even managed to persuade the record company to give them half a day in the studio for free. Conrad made copies of the tape and sent them to record companies, stations, magazines and venues.

In June 1981 Venom played a gig at the "Quay Club" in Hebburn, Tyne & Wear. The electrics blew several times, the bombs blackened all the walls, the fire department had to go there because of all the smoke emitted from the building. After this gig (Conrad's first as the band's new vocalist since Clive Archer left) Venom was banned from the entire club circuit. In August 1981 the band entered the studio to record their first album "Welcome To Hell" which received a 5 star review in "Sounds" on December 26th. In June 1982 Venom played in Poperinge in Belgium.

The band's second album "Black Metal" is by many considered to be one of the best metal albums ever. Together with Iron Maiden they were now one of the leading metal bands in the world. In 1984 they released "At War With Satan" which included a 21 minute song (!). In 1986 Venom released a new album called "Possessed" which wasn't as successful as their previous albums. The band thought they knew what had gone wrong so they quickly recorded a new album called "Deadline" which was never released. At that time Mantas left and decided to try a solo career.

Abaddon and Cronos didn't want to put Venom to rest so they recruited two new guitarists and continued the band. After "Calm Before The Storm" was released in 1987 Cronos and the two new guitarists left the band and Abaddon was the only member still around. Cronos also took on a solo career but Abaddon wanted to keep the name Venom. In 1989 Mantas returned to the band together with two new members namely Al Barnes and Tony Doland. In 1996 Cronos also returned to the band which made a lot of fans very happy. In 1999 the band was ready to release a new album but now Abaddon too wanted to try a solo career. His replacement was none other than Cronos' brother Antton. In 2000 they released their new album "Resurrection" which is by many considered to be one of the band's best albums.

post-6-1083461301.jpg

(edit)  ohh and this thread is barly a day old and has had over 60 views, but only 6 replys-- come on people just cause it says wizard's suggestions doesnt mean you cant add to it that was one thing that made me stop before but I never made ir clear that this is a thread for all to add to,,, dont be shy I wont talk shit if I dont like the metal you suggest--  even if it sounds like crapy Korn music --- I'll try any band out once

Ok, I'll try to add something now and then when I have time. I think I may put up some older bands that may not be well known, or not as well known as they should be. With that, I'll start with Riot. They are somewhat well known, but have been largely overlooked and underrated. They have been around since the late 1970's and have released 12 studio albums. Their first album, Rock City, was released in 1978. Their third album, Fire Down Under, was considered by many to be one of the best albums of the 80's. They were one of the early influences in the power metal genre, and their Thundersteel album sounded a lot like Judas Priest's Painkiller album, and that was a couple years before Painkiller was released. A lot of bad deals, internal problems, and bad luck kept them from being huge. They have had 4 lead vocalists since their beginning. The first two of those are now dead. The original vocalist, Guy Speranza, died last year of pancreatic cancer at 47. Their second vocalist, Rhett Forrester, was murdered in 1994. The only remaining original member is guitarist, Mark Reale. You can visit their website here: http://www.riotsweb.com/ There are reviews of some of their albums here: http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/riot.htm The ones missing are Narita, Nightbreaker, and Brethren Of The Long House.

post-6-1083463643_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr. Crowley

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm going try to breath some life into this dying thread by recommending the band, Seasons Of The Wolf. They are based in Florida and have been around since 1988, but didn't release their first album on CD until 1996. They had some cassettes earlier that were only available near Tampa. Here is a short bio from http://www.metalgospel.com.

These guys are awesome ! Very traditional sounding with a touch of "new age" atmosphere. Their formation can be traced back to 1988 by the Waddell brothers and Dennis Ristow. They´d be joined by Dwayne Briar (Drums) and Clay Yeagley (Bass). With this line up they released two tapes between 88 and 90 available only in the Tampa Bay area. The line up would shift in the next few years with the replacement of Clay by Phaedra Rubio (DANGEROUS CURVES) and Dwayne by Aaron Winders (who would later be replaced by Wayne Hoefle). In 94 they started recording their debut self titled album (released in 96) which helped push the band from local to worldwide attention. With that recording under their belts they played many live shows in support around Florida and also had some of their music used in MTV shows.

In 98 Phaedra was replaced by stage tech Chris Whitford. With that line up they produced and released "Lost In Hell" in 1999. At this point they started really pushing promotion: sending samples to major magazines as well as online publications, getting radio airplay at college stations and taking part in tribute albums for IRON MAIDEN, BLACK SABBATH and QUEEN.

2001 saw the release of their third full length recording, "Nocturnal Revelation" in the same magnificance as the rest. SEASONS OF THE WOLF have always been a special band to me, their music is superior and well crafted. During the times of what I considered to be a "true" Metal drought they kept the spirit and essence alive.

http://www.metalgospel.com/SeasonsOfTheWolf/

Here are a few tracks to download:

Victim Of Darkness

Magnetic Star

October Moon

Interstellar

One Land One King

Communion

post-6-1084580130.jpg

well hello all

you probally wonderd what happend to me once again but I have had no computer accses for weeks, gee wanna know why my home was robbed items stolin was my computer 2.4GHZ 512ram, geforce 5950 fx yep it's gone I built that baby too , my fuckin dreamcast, all my cd's-- my mom's computer was stolen all her jewlry, all 300+ dvds my cd's and we were gone out of town for only 48 hours YEY ! what a nice thing to happen when your new to a town well now the house we just bought is up for sale and we are moving again.

at this time I am using a friend laptop with my cable modem( wow the thives didnt steal my modem gee how nice of them ) so I wont be able to do much with this thread till I get my PC back ( but I dont think that will happen ) so guess I have to build another one.

also my guitar was stolen, I fuckin loved that thing it had everything I wanted in a guitar a floyd rose,24 frets , duncan humbuckers it was my fuckin dream guitar and now its gone.

Toadays band is Murder Squad - good album , Unsane, Insane And Mentally Deranged ( this is todays band because I wanna start a squad to kill the basterd(s) that robbed me of course Im to nice to kill somone but damn if I was a crimnal those basterds would die a slow painful death

Murder Squad was formed in 1993 by members of the two Swedish bands Dismember and Entombed. Together they wanted to play old school death metal but since they were always busy with their main bands they did not enter the studio until the year 2000 with the result being their debut album.

Wow, man, sorry about what happened to you. Im sure people here will chip in and help you replace some of the music if they can..

And welcome back...