Elton John calls US Idol vote 'racist'

Elton calls US Idol vote 'racist'

Sir Elton's songs were performed by contestants when he was a guest judge

Sir Elton John has branded the public vote for TV musical talent show American Idol "incredibly racist".

The UK star's comments follow the shock exit of black vocalist Jennifer Hudson, who was one of the favourites to win.

"The three people I was really impressed with, and they just happened to be black, young female singers.

"And they all seem to be landing in the bottom three," said Sir Elton at a news conference on Tuesday. Programme maker Fox Television declined to comment.

Sir Elton, who was a guest judge on the show earlier this month, said Jennifer Hudson, La Toya London and Fantasia Barrino all had " great voices".

Talented

"The fact that they're constantly in the bottom three - and I don't want to set myself up here - but I find it incredibly racist."

The show eliminates the contestant who gets the fewest votes each week.

The Jennifer Hudson result prompted the show's host Ryan Seacrest to remind viewers that the series was a talent show, not a popularity contest.

"America, don't forget you have to vote for the talent. You cannot let talent like this slip through the cracks," he said at the end of last week's show.

Black singer Ruben Studdard won American Idol last year.

Meanwhile, Sir Elton has announced five New York concerts backed by a symphony orchestra and a student choir from The Royal Academy of Music in London and New York's Juilliard School.

Proceeds from the opening night on 13 July at Radio City Music Hall will fund scholarships at both the Royal Academy and Juilliard.

Sir Elton attended the Royal Academy on a scholarship more than 30 years ago.

"My time there was absolutely invaluable to my career," he said.

"Now 34 years on, I wanted to do something to show I appreciate all the things that they taught me. Young musicians deserve the chance that I had, to go and live their dreams and become great musicians," he added.

post-92-1083188774.jpg

Cowell denies Idol 'racism' claim

Jennifer Hudson had been one of the favourites

American Idol judge Simon Cowell has dismissed claims made by Sir Elton John that voters on the show are racist.

Jennifer Hudson, who had be widely predicted to win, ended in the bottom three with fellow African-Americans La Toya London and Fantasia Barrino.

The result led Sir Elton to brand the public vote as "incredibly racist" after appearing as a guest judge on the TV talent show.

But Cowell said Hudson's exit had given the competition a much needed shake-up.

Better singers

More than 20 million votes were telephoned in last week which were audited by an independent company, Cowell said.

He added: "There are a lot of passive viewers who complain about the results but don't pick up the phone or text a message.

Simon Cowell is considered a harsh critic of the contestants

"We needed a shake-up and I think it will change ... my gut feeling is we are going to attract 5-6 million new voters and the better singers now have a chance."

"I am going to predict La Toya and Diana to be the two finalists ... It's just who I'm guessing America will pick.

"If it was talent it would be La Toya and Fantasia, but I just don't think it will be those two," he said.

Black singer Ruben Studdard won American Idol last year.

Hudson was WAY better than some of the others who stayed, but she wasn't good enought to win anyway. Now that white boy Crooner John is off as of last night, I think the racism claims will settle down...

It was a little premature for Elton to make those claims anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

We may be hearing from Sir Elton again.

Seems America either forgot how to use their home phones or don't know how to use Cingular Wireless.

My take on last night:

Latoya was kick ass. Diana was great. Fantasia was good. Jasmine blew chunks.

America's vote tonight placed Latoya and Fantasia (the only blacks) in the bottom two. :blink:

Latoya was voted out. :angry:

I would keep an eye on tomorrow's entertainment news. Something like this can't be overlooked. :o

Yeah i saw just the end of the show since i dont really watch any of them in their entireity except the first ones with the really bad singers.

I think the only reason why Jasmine wasnt booted was because she got very bad reviews from all the judges since she did bad, starting crying and got the sympathy vote by those who felt sorry for her. Judging by the booing tonight i dont think she will be able to cry her way into the finals.

Edited by NullsRevenge

I don't know who's who because I don't watch the show. Every once in a while someone will come into my workplace and tell me I look like someone on the show while I stand there wondering wtf they're talking about.

Howeverrrr, if there are three people, and two of them are black, chances are better than not that the BOTTOM TWO WOULD BE BLACK. Just math there.

There were 4. Two were black (the bottom two). One was white (Diana), and one was Hawaiian (Jasmine). Out of those choices, you would be closest to Jasmine. There are some similarities between her and your avatar.

Nulls, you may be right about Jasmine. I really don't know any other way she made the top 2. I heard on the radio that people figured Latoya had the vote made so they voted for an alternate to save for the week. Seems if that was the case, a big mistake was made.

As pointed out in ZP, the news has hit the fan:

Read entire story here.

:psychofun: