Best music and lyrics in a song 2003

Young and Dido lead Novello list

Young has had chart success since winning Pop Idol

Will Young, Dido and cult act Belle and Sebastian will compete for the accolade of 2003's best song at next month's Ivor Novello songwriting awards.

Young's Leave Right Now and Dido's White Flag are shortlisted for best music and lyrics in a song.

Dizzee Rascal, Amy Winehouse and Kylie Minogue are contenders for best contemporary song.

Young will also compete for the best- selling UK single title at the London ceremony on 27 May.

Ozzy and Kelly Osbourne's duet Changes will take on Mad World, by Michael Andrews featuring Gary Jules for the best-selling prize.

Dido is a favourite with radio listeners

Minogue, who is a previous winner of the prestigious awards, was nominated for best contemporary song with Slow and faces competition from Winehouse's Stronger Than Me and Mercury Music Award winner Dizzee Rascal with Jus' A Rascal.

Last year's songwriters of the year, Coldplay, are up for most performed work with Clocks, alongside Jamelia's Superstar and Sugababes with Hole In The Head.

The international hit of the year category features Dido with White Flag, Minogue's Slow and multi-award winner Robbie Williams who picked up a nomination for Feel.

The awards are held in honour of Ivor Novello, the British musician and songwriter who died in 1951.

post-92-1083091109.jpg

I cant stand Didos voice, its that dull tonless noise she somehow calls her singing vioce, same with norah jones

Ozzy and Kelly Osbourne's duet Changes will take on Mad World, by Michael Andrews featuring Gary Jules for the best-selling prize.

surely they both didnt sell exactly the same?...I will literally sit on a hot iron pole if that osbourne tune wins..

alongside Jamelia's Superstar and Sugababes with Hole In The Head.

jamelia..? Yet another black singer who has tagged on the end of that black culture music craze..

Coldplay sounds like a suicidal Dave Matthews, mixed with an acid induced John Ondrasik, sucking on Conan O’Brien’s hairy nutsack.

Seriously, that's my honest interpretation.

lol. the song clocks reminds me of u2. i wouldnt know their other songs if you bit my ass (oops, looks like you just did :lol: )