Rise of the Rock Rebel

desdemona

this is alot to read, I'm posting a link, it definitely brought back some memories of the 60's, there did seem to be both a satanic osbession to lyrics as well as the "make love not war" sentiment, for those that are fans of the 60's and 70's, a short review.

an excerpt:

"My personal interest in the relationship between Satanism and popular music originated in research into the relationship between the counter-culture and 1960s progressive rock [6] when I explored, in some detail, the Rolling Stones’ 1967 album Their Satanic Majesties Request. My initial thoughts were developed in '"Little Red Rooster" v. "The Honky Tonk Woman": Mick Jagger, sexuality, style and image’ [7] and while these texts are readily available, I consider that the relationship between popular music, literary texts and the satanic are worth revisiting, not least because of the continuing significance to heavy metal. More specifically, I focus on the emerging interest in the metaphysical that characterised much of the music of the late 1960s, and why Satanism, in particular, should have provided a source of inspiration that was diametrically opposed to the emphasis on universal love and transcendence encapsulated by the Beatles in, for example, John Lennon’s 1996 track, ‘Tomorrow Never Knows’ [8]. What is evident is that music had moved away from its earlier associations with dance and leisure and that it was regarded as an essential ingredient in the counter-cultural experience, providing particular insights into its social reality – not least those concerning personal freedom and subjective experience."

to read more click here:

http://popmatters.com/chapter/04win/whiteley.html

Cutting edge Rock always had a shock value element. It's an interesting article and the compendium or references, or hodgepodge of Satanic references as i see it, simply shows that Rock has always flirted with bad boy images. There was however a dividing line: the peace and love generation was shocked by the Altamont concert and the Hells Angeles violence, and shocked again with the murder of John Lennon. (Lennon's killer actually met Kenneth Anger (beforehand), whose book on Hollywood excess and murder, Hollywood Babylon, is filled with Satanic references--and he scared the shit of Anger). I guess if you connect the dots you can make a strong argument for just about anything... I've met a couple people in the article, but Im about as Satanic as Method77---oops, I take that back :lol: We all know about those Godless Greeks

PS This reference: ...it is documented that Mick Jagger had been intrigued by The Devil and Margarita, a book given to him by his girlfriend (at the time), Marianne Faithful.. is incorrect. The book is called The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov--a satyrical look at Russian Communist society and how its turned upside down by the devil--its also one of my favorites, and acknowledged by many to be the greatest Russian book of the 20th century.

one o' my all-time fave books. the fact that it was suppressed in russia when published in 1917 always flips me out--it reads as if written yesterday (well, the translation, at least).

one o' my all-time fave books. the fact that it was suppressed in russia when published in 1917 always flips me out--it reads as if written yesterday (well, the translation, at least).

Actually it was censored in the thirties. Bulgakov lost the first version--Im not sure how, but it was burned. He dictated it the second time around when he blind... Ironically, Stalin got a kick out of him and spared him further grief. Bulgakov was also a doctor and a theater director. His book Heart of a Dog, about an experiment gone wrong, in which a man's brain and testicles are switched is also a classic :lol:

I almost got the rights to the Master and Margarita--even spoke to Ms Giinsburg about it. I think Roman Polanski tried to do a version--he submitted a version to the studio I worked with and I talked to Saul Zaentz about it.. Problem is with communism gone, the book no longer has the social relevance it once had. But it stll remains hysterical to this day Try it--you will like it.

I almost forgot. In addition to the modern story, where the Devil turns Moscow upside down, there is a parallel story about a writer who is sent to the nuthouse for writing about Pontius Pilate and Christ's crucifixtion-that part is timely due to the Gibson take..