Ross Daly

method77

arxi.jpg

Ross Daly's journey in the music of the world is inseparable from the course of his life. An Irishman born in England, he travelled as a child with his family around the world and soon his deep interest in music emerged. His first instrument was the cello, which he studied in England. Then he began studying the guitar in Japan at the age of twelve. The late sixties found him in San Francisco, where having experienced both the classical discipline and the air of freedom and experimentation of the time, he first encountered the Eastern musical tradition and became fascinated by Ravi Shankar's playing of the sitar at the Monterey Festival. Hence he began studying Indian music, first in England and eventually in India.

He then travelled to Afghanistan where he studied the local traditional music and the Rabab, an Afghani stringed instrument. After returining to Europe, he visited Crete in 1975 and during his travels throughout the island became acquainted with the local music. He sttled in the island and began playing the Cretan Lyra with the great master Kostas Mountakis. Later, he travelled in Turkey where he studied classical Eastern music.

Twenty-five years later, Ross Daly has more than fifteen personal recordings. Greece still provides a base for Ross Daly's personal and musical search as he travels around the world performing his music.

A master multi-instrumentalist himself, Ross Daly has repeatedly teamed with master musicians from all over the world working within the musical discipline of the Eastern traditions while at the same time freely exploring creative improvisation. A virtuoso of Eastern musical instruments, he plays the laouto, rabab, Cretan and Politiki lyras, sarangi, oud, saz and tanbur.

Find more about this artist and download some of his music in the discography section. Link

Or buy his most recent solo album here.

Interesting site... love the navigation page...

I'll probably like this stuff... if it's eastern in influence.... downloading now :)

/me puts on the belly dancing costume

I've seen this artist live a couple of times playing cretan lyra. Excellent music. If you want the best lyra in the world then Psaradonis is the man.

heh

He looks mysteriously like a cult leader. :D

you should listen to his music. Nothing to do with eastern stuff. It's Cretan Lyra. Download some from the Psaradonis page I posted above and you'll see. I've met this guy in person when he played live in a friends bar. Very mysterious and wise. He also gave me a couple of cds hehe

I'm getting confused now.... nothing to do with eastern stuff??

A master multi-instrumentalist himself, Ross Daly has repeatedly teamed with master musicians from all over the world working within the musical discipline of the Eastern traditions while at the same time freely exploring creative improvisation. A virtuoso of Eastern musical instruments, he plays the laouto, rabab, Cretan and Politiki lyras, sarangi, oud, saz and tanbur.

.. then there's this other greek lyra god in the middle of everything ... t'hell with it... I'm gonna do dishes instead :wacko:

I meant eastern sounds. Eastern sounds are belly dancing and all that. Cretan (or any greek) lyra has nothing to with belly dancing and stuff. That's what I meant.

hmmm... even though the first thing I downloaded is really really slow eastern sounding belly dancing stuff... I'll let you off this time if you're nice to Kooperman for the rest of the day.

ok I just checked out the samples and no, that is not what I consider eastern sound. I always considered that sound to be like Susheela Raman, Natach Atlas and that kind of stuff. Anyway, I might be wrong and his sound has a lot in common with the eastyern sound. I have two LPs by him. 'Selected Works' and 'Echoes Of Time'. Both of those are very good.

Btw he is Irish :)

he was born in England... that makes him ENGLISH... but he lives in Crete so doesn't that make him a Cretan?

I clicked the first album and downloaded a 24 minute track called Elefthero Simeio CD2 - Track 2.mp3 I'd call that eastern in influence...

next one was Selected Works - Track 2.mp3 same thing only moreso.... I liked both...

but I'll try the other Psaradonis godlike character's stuff.... maybe it's Greeker

and what's wrong with belly dancing anyway??

he was born in England... that makes him ENGLISH... but he lives in Crete so doesn't that make him a Cretan?

I clicked the first album and downloaded a 24 minute track called Elefthero Simeio CD2 - Track 2.mp3 I'd call that eastern in influence...

next one was Selected Works - Track 2.mp3 same thing only moreso.... I liked both...

but I'll try the other Psaradonis godlike character's stuff.... maybe it's Greeker

and what's wrong with belly dancing anyway??

Psaradonis is better imo. His is greeker as you said. Ross Daly is an wexcellent artist though. I found some psaradonis stuf on p2p. Try changing the name ...psaradonis, psarantonis etc..

I don't like belly dancing cause that's what's Greece is known for only in terms of music. Greece has many very good artists that play different sounds from various parts of Greece. I might write something about Greek folk music later

I don't like belly dancing cause that's what's Greece is known for only in terms of music. Greece has many very good artists that play different sounds from various parts of Greece. I might write something about Greek folk music later

I would never have thought of belly dancing as being a Greek thing... in my mind, that comes from a little further east than Greece and more inclined to Arabic countries which Greece is not.

I think you should write something on Greek regional music too, or at the least recommend some artists names like Psarantonis for sample hunting :)

Thanks for this one... I'm enjoying it all so far :good job:

• 9 months later...

Saw Ross Daly friday night live. He was great. I even made him sign an autograph for Beatking.

I ended up drunk in some club and when I woke up Saturday, the paper was gone. I must have dropped it somewhere hitwall