Shifting From P2P To Stream Ripping

Bombardier

An anonymous reader submits "As users continue to try fending off the ever more litigious music industry, some seem to have dropped P2P entirely, moving to ripping instead. While they lose some control over what they are downloading, it's a untraceable way to download music (no way for the RIAA to track users or sue). With some of the more powerful software that's been coming out recently, stream ripping has become more main-stream.

Some of the more well known software packages, like StationRipper, allow users to download several thousand songs on a daily basis. And, depending on how you read the law, it's 100% legal. How will the RIAA respond? As more users move to this type of technology to avoid the P2P lawsuits, how will the music industry respond?"

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/04/21/2134...8&tid=95&tid=99

if you have a fast connection then the bitrate is ok. For the slow users like me it's useless but sooner or later, everybody will have a fast connection so this could be the future. The RIAA -as usual- will just sit on the side and watch

One of the keys to stream ripping to find a "station" with high quality streams. A lot of streams are in a low bitrate, but some can sound good.

From my own experience, of course ;)

agreed. I found some stations with good sound but not being able to pick what you record is a minus. You just record and delete what you don't want. If you use a program that makes each song it's own file, then the problem was that the program did not cut it at the right place. 5 or so seconds would be missing from one end or the other. I know that is fixable but it is a pain. Maybe the new softwares have solved that.

I've been searching Kazaa so much these days for rare files (and listening to low-quality streams), that even 128k files sound good :D

I'm no uber-audiophile and will take 128k quality in my song if its the only thing available.

:)

agreed! But some of the streams are even less than 128. (or at least they were a couple years ago when I messed with it) Some of the streams are of good enough quality that I can't tell the difference. I generally rip at 192 but I really can't hear the difference in that and 128. I only rip at 192 in case someone wants something of mine and maybe they have better hearing.

I came accross to variations on downloading of music files, streaming or whatever.

These two apps allow you to stream or download a file from a personal computer. It's not like shoutcast or other streaming methods. It appears closer to like a personal webpage but it's optimised to stream music or share it.

One is called Hathor and the other is a winamp plugin called ml_www.

I just saw these last night. The winamp plugin apparently does not have it's own webpage and is talked about and links posted on the winamp forums. And Hathor just appeared on hydrogenaudio.org and the link to the webpage dissappeared today.

Must be a glitch in regards to Hathor as most replies to that thread seem positive.

I did download a copy of each but have not tried them.

I will try and get more info.

Here is a copy of the winamp plugin and do a search on winamp forum to read more.

ml_www044b.exe

I tried stream ripping a while ago and it's not bad if you can deal with the 128 bitrate and some station id tags. Some stations broadcast in higher bitrates but I haven't seen much. This thread that method77 posted the other day has another link for a streamripper program. I didn't have a chance to try it but it looks good. I used the old SR32 before and it is effortless to run. I do however like the idea of a winamp plug in ripper. Thanks Rickio

http://www.beatking.com/forums/index.php?s...t=0entry23017