COUNTRY MUSIC?

ASUmusicMAN

COUNTRY MUSIC?

GREG BARNS muses on an Elliott Carter recording

by the Nashville Symphony Orchestra

When my friendly CD distributor handed me a recording by the Nashville Symphony Orchestra I was immediately curious. Nashville is a place most of us in Australia, and in my case the small island state of Tasmania, associate with country music, not the classical idiom. But this collection of works by that giant of twentieth century American music Elliott Carter, is helping to change any perceptions of Nashville I, or anyone else who buys this CD, may have had.

The Nashville Orchestra's rendition of Carter's Symphony No 1 and the Piano Concerto featuring the Blair School of Music's Mark Wait and the Orchestra's long standing conductor, Kenneth Schermerhorn is first rate. And perhaps just as importantly it's readily accessible to music lovers around the world because it's recorded by Naxos -- the fast growing global CD label. And a label that ensures its recordings are available at a fraction of the price charged by the larger more established recording companies.

The decision by the Nashville Orchestra to record Carter and to work with Naxos is both clever in marketing and creative terms. It's a prime example of what lesser known orchestras need to do to enhance their future in a world that is deluged with new creative output every day of the week.

Continue Reading HERE

http://www.mvdaily.com/articles/2004/04/nashville1.htm

The beauty of the Naxos label for orchestras such as the Nashville Symphony is the world wide distribution network. Most CD retail outlets around Europe, North America, the UK and Australia have a section solely devoted to Naxos releases. It's much easier to buy the Nashville Symphony in Hobart, Tasmania because it records with Naxos than if it recorded with other more established labels. And what's more, a consumer will buy Elliott Carter and the Nashville Orchestra without blinking at under $10 but would think twice about it at $30 -- the price of most other classical recording labels.

Smart label. Naxos' site

I had to google it because I've never heard of him.

He doesn't actually play country music. I guess they are just refering to the venue.

link