Kazaa Lite Is No More

jipper

Speaking with RatFaced, one of the Kazaa Lite forum moderators today and our contact at K-Lite, I have uncovered news that the Kazaa Lite K++ project has been shut down by Sharman Networks on grounds of copyright infringement.

The project, which had been set up to block spy and ad ware within the Kazaa Media Desktop Program has achieved notoriety within the P2p world through its simplistic approach and success in reverse engineering the Kazaa application.

However, the program infringed on the copyright of Sharman Networks, the company that now own and program the Kazaa Media Desktop application, after the purchase of the code and copyright in 2002. The FastTrack (Kazaa) network is financed through advertising systems, which Kazaa Lite K++ does not include, and so was seen as a threat by the owners.

Sharman have threatened legal action, and ordered that the offending content be removed from the official Kazaa Lite sites, including http://www.kazaalite.tk/ which now contains no reference to the existance of the application.

RatFaced said that the decision was “Ironic, that Kazaa is complaining about copyright issues, especially as K-Lite ++ stands for everything that Kazaa CLAIMS to stand for... but fails to deliver.”

We will perhaps never see Kazaa Lite again, but we can hope that users will remain aware of the spyware that is hidden inside the Kazaa application, which is used to finance the creation of the software.

eMule and WinMX offer spyware-free alternatives to Kazaa.

source : http://www.peerguardian.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2311

ya but the thing is most likely Sharman networks will release a version of Kazaa that blocks Kazaa Lite's older versions. Then you wont be using it.

ya but the thing is most likely Sharman networks will release a version of Kazaa that blocks Kazaa Lite's older versions. Then you wont be using it.

I don't know if that would work. They would have to find a way to block the existing copies of K-lite from the Fasttrack network.

I was pretty diligent about grabbing the latest copy's, but the latest that I have on disk or sitting quietly in an email account is:

klitekpp242e (one off of the last one if I've been told right)

I don't suppose we should lose our site by hosting that copy, but you know..... if anyone wants it.

I was pretty diligent about grabbing the latest copy's, but the latest that I have on disk or sitting quietly in an email account is:

klitekpp242e (one off of the last one if I've been told right)

I don't suppose we should lose our site by hosting that copy, but you know..... if anyone wants it.

You're right about the risk. I still have mine. 2.4.3,2.4.0,2.4.1

Backed-up on a cd also.

CLICK HERE to see the 170 results of a Google search for the last KLite version or HERE for the 202 results of a Google search for the last KLite codec pack. Sharman may have shut down the "official" KLite site ... but they're a long way from shutting down access to KLite itself (or the codec pack).

BTW, if Sharman figures out a way to modify Kazaa so it blocks KLite users from the FastTrack network, how long do you think it will be before someone else creates a "new" KLite to circumvent it (grin) ... releasing it more discretely on the web?

What comes around goes around ... and then usually comes around again, hehe.

I think I'll stick with 2000.

And I'll stick with Win98SE. BTW, did you know that retailers are still selling OEM disks for Win98SE? Not openly, mind you ... you have to ask for it ... and in some cases, it may have to be ordered. But it's still available. More importantly, most software available on the market is still written to be Win98SE compatible. I just bought a brand new Ethernet card the other day and it has Win98SE drivers ... along with Me/2000/XP drivers. And, FWIW, Mac OS9.x is also supported. Mac users would know better than me ... but I suspect many look upon OS10 in the same suspicious way some PC users look upon XP.

BTW, I run a hosting service and track visitors by OS and browser ... and WinXP visitors are still in the minority. I don't think Microsoft will fully capture the marketplace with 32-bit XP ... but might when the 64-bit Itanium chip becomes standard. By that time, I'm hoping there will be a "creative explosion" among Linux developers. If I ever upgrade my OS, I'd much rather upgrade to Linux than XP.