What Are You Reading?

DudeAsInCool

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently I'm reading Analog...Sci-Fi/fact magazine. I'll be starting Chapter House Dune next.

The Doctor

:scratchin:

• 2 weeks later...

August Derleth - The Trail Of Cthulhu

Sylvia Dobson Fries - The Urban Idea in Colonial America

Discover magazine - June 2004

Thank God my reading seminar "Culture Shock In Russia" is over...now I can squeeze in some personal reading again! :good job:

• 3 weeks later...

'watching the english' by kate fox, about the cultural differences between the English and everyone else. to fit in, i'm supposed to be very understated and subtle. yeah, that'll be the day. :lol:

ps, thanks for all the good suggestions everybody.

Edited by slum_goddess

I just finished East of Eden by Steinbeck and started Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury... I have had a shitload of journal articles to read this quarter, so I have been kinda slow as of late... I also have Complete Poems of Carl Sandburg that I want to read a bit of sometime soon.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently reading "Icarus" by Russell Andrews...first time reading this author....I finished the Davinci Code, was a little dissapointed because I couldnt put it down, but figured out the ending...

May I recommend ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING by James Patterson....he is an amazing author! My personal favorite.

I love the classics, Tale of Two Cities, The Chaucer Tales and I'm a Shakespeare groupie!

May I recommend ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING by James Patterson....he is an amazing author! My personal favorite.

Isnt Patterson the publisher turned author?

May I recommend ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING by James Patterson....he is an amazing author!  My personal favorite.

Isnt Patterson the publisher turned author?

I'm not sure if he was a publisher or in advertising....He wrote the books Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider that they made movies from

I spoke to him once about his first novel, which I thought would make a good movie--forget what it was... I was surprised at just how accessible he was... He writes pretty entertaining stuff..

I spoke to him once about his first novel, which I thought would make a good movie--forget what it was... I was surprised at just how accessible he was... He writes pretty entertaining stuff..

I believe it was Season of the Machete...but I could be wrong.......I just love the Alex Cross series.....and I love the titles to all of his books....

Daniel P. Jones - The Economic and Social Transformation of Rural Rhode Island, 1780-1850

South Kingstown Town Meeting Records: Vol. III - March 1798 to 1836

A.N. Roquelaure (Ann Rice) - The Sleeping Beauty Novels; currently reading II, Beauty's Punishment

Interesting juxtoposition...compare

1) this excerpt from my notes on the town meeting records,

Town Meeting April 15 1801

• William Taylor (Moderator)

o Accounts settled; John Holly denied voting rights by Samuel J. Potter as “the estate he proposed is not of sufficient value;” likewise Potter objected to the value of the estates of William Carter and Ebenezer Smith

o Representatives to General Assembly: Elisha R. Potter, John B. Dockray

o Warrant: next meeting to consider tax for mending the highways

with

2) this excerpt from where I left off with Sleeping Beauty

...She had no paddle in her hands and no one at her mercy. She was a bad, naked slave, about to be sent to a hardened soldier with an obvious taste for rebels. And envisioning that sun-browned handsome face and the deep gleaming eyes, she thought, "If I'm such a bad girl, then I shall act like one."

A.N. Roquelaure (Ann Rice) - The Sleeping Beauty Novels; currently reading II, Beauty's Punishment

I read Sleeping Beauty - I see you are a glutton for punishment, CTC :bigsmile: I take it you are not reading this as a bedtime story for your son :lol:

I read Sleeping Beauty - I see you are a glutton for punishment, CTC :bigsmile: I take it you are not reading this as a bedtime story for your son :lol:

No, it is bedtime story for ME, lol :taskmaster:

No, it is bedtime story for ME, lol :taskmaster:

:rotfl:

• 3 weeks later...

Grisham has some good stuff. Did you enjoy the end Reg? I've read The Firm and one about health insurance.

I'm now reading "The curious incident of the dog in the night-time." It seems to be on all sorts of best sellers, won book of the year and things. It is very different to most books. The narrator is a boy who isn't Autistic, but has something like that. He can't understand people, everything has to be really logical to him, so he is excellent at maths. Does "Keep off the grass" mean that he should stay off all grass? The grass around the sign? the grass touching the sign?

Ultimately he is just reporting on his days events, as he copes with his special school, his dad and his absent mum, whilst trying to solve who killed the dog. What he doesn't understand is the trouble that he is causing.

It is one of the latest and best in the trend of books which cross the adult/childrens barrier.

"On my way to school I watch the cars going past the bus and remember their colours.

3 red cars in a row mean that it is going to be a Quite Good Day. 4 red cars mean that it is going to be a Good Day. 5 red cars mean that it is going to be a Super Good Day. And 4 yellow cars in a row mean that it is going to be a Black Day, which is a day when I don't speak to anyone and don't eat my lunch and Take No Risks, because yellow is the colour of custard and double yellow lines and Yellow Fever which is a deadly disease."

Fifteen-year-old Christopher has a photographic memory. He understands maths. He understands science. What he can't understand are other human beings.

When he finds his neighbour's dog, Wellington, lying dead on a neighbour's lawn, he decides to track down the killer and write a murder mystery novel about it. In doing so, however, he uncovers other mysteries that threaten to bring his whole world crashing down around him.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is an astonishing novel - funny, sad and utterly unputdownable.

Source: http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/childrens/gro...gbooks/curious/

Well worth a read.

Hmmm...that author seems original. Would like to know more about him....

Speaking of Dog titles, check out Russian author Mikhail Bulgakov's The Heart of a Dog, in which a man's brain and a dog's testicles are switched accidentally in a medical procedure :)

The Author is Mark Haddon. He had only written a few kids books before deciding to cash in on the kids/adult Harry Potter gravy train. He thought what would be catching before he ever had a story line. He wanted an gripping start to the book and from there it wasn't long before he imagined this dead dog with a pitch fork sticking out of it. He then thought about a character. Finally he started thinking about a story.

Certainly sounds like an amusing book El Duderino. I'll try and look into it.