KCeasy 0.12 (fasttrack support dropped)

Ken

KCeasy 0.12 released [2004-04-17]

Please note that from this version of KCeasy will no longer include the plugin necessary to connect to the FastTrack network. On April 14, I received a cease and desist Letter from Sharman Networks demanding the immediate stop of KCeasy distribution. While it is perfectly legal under German law to create an interoperable client for the FastTrack network via reverse engineering, I feel that inclusion of FastTrack access with KCeasy is not worth a legal battle between Sharman and myself. KCeasy is a valuable file sharing client even without FastTrack connectivity, and I will continue to develop it as such.

- Markus Kern

The change log for 0.12:

* Fixed threading bug which caused incomplete downloads to go missing (giFT)

* Fixed bug with unix style expansion of ~ in paths (giFT)

* Removed FastTrack plugin following complaints by Sharman Networks

* Removed FastTrack network icon because I am unable to determine origin and license

* Don't overwrite old node files from installer

* Added meta data extraction for torrents (giFT)

* Tweaked OpenFT auto promotion (OpenFT)

* Disabled AVI meta data parser until we figure out why it's broken (giFT)

* Added more logging to catch where incomplete downloads go missing (giFT)

* Fixed env_search == NULL assert (OpenFT)

* Made CTRL + A select all search results

Get it now in the download section.

Source

Ken's Comments: Well, it would seem Sharman has pushed another valuable fasttrack client out of the picture, so that its spyware ridden, feature challenged Kazaa client can continue to reign supreme.

It's obvious, to me, that Sharman's goal is to continue to draw upon the uneducated, or potential P2P masses (through use of a popular, media broadcasted name), so they can make as much monetary gain as possible.

Members of the P2P community should untie themselves, in order to ensure those entering the P2P scene are aware of alternate clients on the fasttrack network, and alternatives to the fasttrack network altogether.

Edited by Ken

sharman proves once again that it doesn't care about making the filesharing community better and improving thier network. They just want more money and kill all the other clients. I wish they get closed by some court and I wish they go bankrupt

Its likely you can copy the fasttrack plug-in .dll to the plug-in folder in the new version, and still have fasttrack support.

Thus far though, v0.12 doesn't seem to want to connect to giFT, or any other network, with or without the fasttrack dll (in my case).

v0.11 still works flawlessly though (including fasttrack support).

Edited by Ken

While we're on the subject of FastTrack, I think I'll complain about Sharman some more ;)

It really makes little difference to me whether I ever use FastTrack again anways. As I have stated earlier, Gnutella and OpenFT have always been the dependable part of KCEasy.

I always get a "queued" message usually followed by a "Sent push" then "Timed out" message when I try to download from the FT network.

So Sharman Networks can still go to hell :evil:

Well, I got v0.12 to work, with the fasttrack plug-in.

#1 - Copy the giFt plug-ins folder from a previous install.

#2 - Upon installation of KCeasy, deselect the "giFT plug-ins option".

#3 - Complete installation

#4 - Copy the folder you copied from the previous install, into the giFT directory (which is a subdirectory of the KCeasy folder.

It may also work, by just simply having a copy of the fasttrack.dll file, and just making sure a copy of that is in your giFT plug-ins folder.

I'm not sure though, but it sounds like it should work.

:bigsmile:

Thanks for the story. I had never even tried kceasy on fasttrack, but it is still offered off of the servers, so I grabbed it instead. I'll check it out.