Scientists start accounting for taste

ASUmusicMAN

Interesting...definitely need more research before anyone completely blasts pop music

Scientists believe they may be closer to understanding why some people like pop music and others like classical.

Psychiatric consultant Dr Raj Persaud of Maudsley Hospital in London believes his studies of dementia patients show a link between taste and "hard-nosed intellectual function" - in other words, appreciation of classical music may require more brain power.

Persaud has observed that, as brain power diminishes in dementia patients, they sometimes go from liking classical to pop - but not the other way round.

"What this may mean is that you require more grey matter to appreciate classical music and that you don't need so much grey matter to appreciate pop music, so as you lose grey matter your taste in music changes accordingly," said Dr Persaud.

The thesis, outline in the June issue of BBC Music Magazine, has had support from Italian scholars.

Finish it HERE

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/1405449.stm

or maybe those they tested liked pop all along but classical had much better snob value.... dementia patients forget their social status :lol:

Psychiatric consultant Dr Raj Persaud

Hmmmm, Dr Raj Persaud?

In Britain he's very much a showbiz psychiatrist - I take anything he has to say with a (very large) pinch of salt.

Ignore him - he evidentally has never heard of anyone who can enjoy more than one type of music - I enjoy Classical and Pop, and both for very different reasons (as well as loads of other musical 'genres') and resent that because I like pop music I can't enjoy classical as well.

Evidence that not all 'Dr's' are intelligent.

good to know...still interesting choice of research don't you think? He mentions at the bottom how he still knows many smart peeps that listen to pop...maybe it just requires different parts of the brain...who knows?

Or maybe, just maybe, it has nothing to do with grey matter!

Perhaps it's just random, individual taste.

There are just too many exceptions to this dumb research, to convince me enough.

What happens if I listen Buddhist temple music?

**Ken burns himself in effigy**