Defying Autism Through Music

ASUmusicMAN

Defying Autism Through Music

By Krista Larson

Associated Press

April 16, 2004

NEW MILFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Paul DeSavino's mother grew increasingly nervous as she watched her son sit at a piano during one of his first public performances last year. He wasn't playing.

Minutes passed and then DeSavino, diagnosed with autism more than three decades ago as a child, played the piece perfectly.

"After the performance I said 'Paul, it was so wonderful but why did you wait so long?"' Marlene DeSavino recalled. "And he said, 'Mom, don't you remember? You told me to take my time, to concentrate, to look ahead."'

For his family, who once was told DeSavino would eventually have to be placed in an institution, those early performances represented an opportunity.

Music offers children and adults with autism a way to express themselves, said Cindy Edgerton, co-director of the music therapy clinical services at Michigan State University. For many, it can improve language and social interaction skills, she said.

Trust me...you want to read the whole thing HERE

http://www.musicalamerica.com/news/newssto...yID=1&cookies=1

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Our picks

• Wait, Burning Man is going online-only? What does that even look like?
      You could have been forgiven for missing the announcement that actual physical Burning Man has been canceled for this year, if not next. Firstly, the nonprofit Burning Man organization, known affectionately to insiders as the Borg, posted it after 5 p.m. PT Friday. That, even in the COVID-19 era, is the traditional time to push out news when you don't want much media attention. 
      But secondly, you may have missed its cancellation because the Borg is being careful not to use the C-word. The announcement was neutrally titled "The Burning Man Multiverse in 2020." Even as it offers refunds to early ticket buyers, considers layoffs and other belt-tightening measures, and can't even commit to a physical event in 2021, the Borg is making lemonade by focusing on an online-only version of Black Rock City this coming August.    Read more...
      More about Burning Man, Tech, Web Culture, and Live EventsView the full article
      • 0 replies
    • Post in What Are You Listening To?
      Post in What Are You Listening To?