Odd Future's Tyler The Creator Wins Best New Artist VMA

NelsonG

The 2011 MTV Video Music Awards last night (August 28) gave the audience in attendance and the fans at home plenty of thrills and a few surprise moments amid the pomp of the large affair. From Lady Gaga’s total transformation into Jo Calderone to Kanye West and Jay-Z shocking audiences with a performance of "Otis" as unannounced performers – not to mention Jay’s wife’s big baby bump reveal – the VMAs were a smash by most accounts. Some of the award wins were a big shock as well with the band of foul-mouthed misfits Odd Future and their de facto leader Tyler The Creator winning big.

In the tightly contested Best New Artist category, Kanye West protégé Big Sean, Bay Area newbie sensation Kreayshawn, the ultra-cool Wiz Khalifa, indie rockers Foster The People and controversial potty mouthed rapper Tyler The Creator were all vying the coveted VMA Moonman. Tyler The Creator shocked the world once again by winning the award and his profanity-laced acceptance speech was preceded by a slip and fall onstage.

Sitting next to his mother, Tyler The Creator tweeted nervously as he awaited the announcement – belying all of the arrogance and bravado some have placed upon the 20-year-old California native. When his name was called, Tyler slipped and fell offstage and was helped up by none other than Kanye West – who famously called Tyler’s clip “Yonkers” the video of the year via his Twitter account early in 2011.

Although apparently emotional, Tyler kept true to form with his bleeped out acceptance speech. “Yo, I'm excited as f--- right now, yo," he said. "I wanted this sh-- since I was 9. I'm about to cry. This is for my little brother Earl. He's not here right now. I really can't believe I'm here right now. I didn't write a thank you speech. I don't know. F---. To all the kids watching, you can do this sh--. Thank you,” said Tyler as his mom shouted gleefully from the crowd.

Congratulations to Tyler The Creator and the rest of the Odd Future gang!

Were you happy for Tyler’s win? Do you think he deserved the nod? Tweet to us at @MTVRapFix or leave us a comment below.

[url=http://rapfix.mtv.com/2011/08/29/odd-futures-tyler-the-creator-wins-best-new-artist-vma/]View the full article[/url]