Genesis - Selling England by the Pound

Umma

One of my favourite albums from the 70's. Here's an enthusiastic review....

GENESIS Selling England By The Pound

Review by Quadb @ 11:07:51 AM EST, 3/26/2004

? THE BEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME...PERIOD. This album is flawless. It contains everything. It opens with Peter's voice unaccompanied before Steve's classical guitar joins in. 'Dancing With The Moonlit Knight' shows the band's flawless musical chops but it's also a great tune to sing along to. 'I Know What I Like' is one of the greatest pop songs of all time (which means that it's actually better than a pop song) That one always brings a smile to my face. Steve Hackett is the star on 'Firth of Fifth' with his atmospheric guitar playing being the highlight of that song. That is not to overlook Tony's opening piano, which may as well have been Beethoven or Mozart or something. (Yes, it's that good!) 'More Fool Me' ... yes, it's a love song, yes, it's Phil on vocals, yes, it's the weakest song on the album but can you really say it's as bad as his Tarzan song. Of course not, and I think it balances the album out well. 'Battle Of Epping Forest' is a constant battle between the music and Peter's vocals but I think that's part of it's charm. It's kinda like Floyd meets Python. Another fun one to sing along to (if you know all the words.) 'After The Ordeal' is not a band favourite (as Tony Banks declares it the worst song they've ever done) but I'm afraid I have to disagree. This is one fabulous classically-tinged instrumental that again, fits the mood of the album. And finally, 'The Cinema Show/Aisle of Plenty' highlights the Banks/Rutherford/Collins musicianship at its best, one of Genesis' finest moments. Tony's keyboard work blows me away and should not be listened to by anyone who has a desire to play the keyboard. It'll only discourage you. This album is a must have in any genre. The perfect album.

Selling England by the Pound - reviews, samples, etc

Friends swore by this band, but I never got it. I like Peter Gabriel's solo albums and even some of Phil Collins stuff, but I never got on to the Genesis bandwagon. I guess I should revisit this band and give them a fair shake.. :scratchin: