The Erosion of Consumer Choice & Privacy

Bombardier

I'm sure all of you know how bad the DMCA (Digital Millinium Copyright Act) is to consumer privacy, fair use, and choice.

I was visiting the Filemirrors site (a search-service from the makers of the download manager GetRight) and ran across this message.

eroded%20DMCA.JPG

One interesting thing about this is that this is just the filename to the Spider Man 2 trailer that is publically available straight from Apple and other sites. So, what's the copyright infringement with the links?

It looks like media companies are continuing to abuse the powers in this act.

It's an interesting choice for all of those companies "caught in the middle" and have to implement filtering software on their systems. It looks like this one chose to over-filter rather than filter out specific instances of the "infringement". Getright should just host this service in the UK or India which has no DMCA to slow them down.

It looks like they hate the act as much as file-sharers do. I hope someday the DMCA will be abolished.

You should write the jerks and complain.

I'm considering looking into a better explaination of the problem.

It could be that Apple (or the movie studios) are the only ones who can let people download the trailer (they're the only sources).

I'll look into it further

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now