late 80's - early 90's

drakee90

I've recently gotten into the "post punk" era, and was wondering if anyone had an idea of where i should start? Such as what sonic youth or the fall album i should pick up? or just some help on which were your favorite bands/albums of that time.

So you're from Philly, huh? I grew up in PA... Love that dancing babe avatar on your homepage..

Hang tight..someone will give you the answer to your question in a bit.. in the meantime, you might want to take a look at Pitchfork's top 100 list for the nineties:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/top/90s/

I've recently gotten into the "post punk" era, and was wondering if anyone had an idea of where i should start? Such as what sonic youth or the fall album i should pick up? or just some help on which were your favorite bands/albums of that time.

Best advice I can give is stay away from those stupid terms and pay more attention to the music. What is post punk anyway? Name some bands that you already like, or maybe something youre interested in, and i'll try to recomend some stuff

(sorry...dont mean to sound like an ass...i am trying to be helpful :P )

Ok, here are some suggestions:

Sonic Youth

Evol, Sister or Daydream Nation

Smashing Pumpkin's first album...

Happy listening... :scratchin:

try these punk groups first

Pere Ubu

Ramones

Wire

Stooges

New York Dolls

Dead Kennedys

X-ray Spex

Black Flag

Bad BRains

Discharge

Minutemen

NOmeansNO

Minor Threat

What groups do you like? I'd like to know what you like so I can recommend

i got daydream nation and love it

and ive listened and loved all the pixies albums and in utero by nirvana

and ive listened to this nations saving grace by the fall and its amazing 2!!

ahh Sonic Youth one of my favorite bands of all time.

I remember also listening to these bands alot "The Replacements" , "Alien Sex Fiend" , "The Stranglers" , "Gang of Four" lol my memory is slowly coming back to me lol

peace

Edited by rickio

I saw that Sonic Youth has a new album coming out and some advance copies are floating around.

title of the new albums is "NURSE" , snagged me a copy last night. gonna give it a listen in a bit.

peace

Once you have given it a rip, feel free to post a review of sorts. If you get the urge. ;) ;)