Non-traditional Prez for Baltimore Symphony?

ASUmusicMAN

Non-traditional Prez for Baltimore Symphony?

By Tim Smith

Baltimore Sun

April 7, 2004

BALTIMORE -- The Baltimore Symphony is considering hiring a former Internet marketing executive with no prior orchestra experience as its next president.

Baltimore Sun critic Tim Smith reports that James Glicker, 49, is up for the job, pending board approval. He would succeed John Gidwitz, who is leaving after 20 years at the end of the current season.

Glicker has been the BSO's chief marketing officer since January.

"His appearance isn't traditional either," writes Smith, of his "ponytail, pierced ear and preference for casual dress."

"There will be considerable pressure on a new BSO president to help improve the long-range outlook for the institution, starting with finances. The BSO's accumulated debt from the past two seasons is about $1.2 million; by the end of the 2003-2004 season, that figure could top $3 million."

The big question is how BSO music director Yuri Temirkanov will feel about working with a non-traditional orchestra executive.

See "BSO Focuses on Atypical Candidate for President."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/...-home-headlines

Edited by ASUmusicMAN

This has been the trend in the entertainment industry - bring in a numbers guy instead of of people who have a passion for the arts. Whatever merits the new guys bring, they might as well be selling potato chips...

Yeah...well...I kind of have a bad experience with this very thing.

At a certain unnamed university I attend there is a certain leader of a certain musical esemble who we'll call Dr. X. Now Dr. X constantly has his head in ass, and never really gives his all the group, and really pisses quite a bit of people off. Now don't get me wrong, he is an amazing conductor and musician; its just certain things will come up in discussion that he will expose his ignorance. I come to find out now that Dr. X isn't a doctor of music, but of management, which is fine. Musicians don't discriminate, if your awesome and have no degree (which i've seen), there will be respect, likewise you can have twenty degrees and suck (which i've also seen) and everyone will think you're a phony balony. But when we spend time doing strange person building exercises, trust building, time players, sports psychology, mastering the art of meeting your neighboor, interaction within the esemble type of things instead of music making you begin to wonder...and then a light shines through...he is managing the orchestra...like well trained businessman he studied to be...just weird.

Baltimore?s New Prez Official

By Susan Elliott

MusicalAmerica.com

April 12, 2004

BALTIMORE ? As predicted, James Glicker is to be the next president and CEO of the Baltimore Symphony. The appointment, announced in a press release issued late (Good) Friday afternoon, pends approval by the full board of directors at its next meeting, in June.

Glicker, 49, has had no experience in the symphonic-orchestra realm other than three months in the Baltimore Symphony?s marketing department. Prior to that he was president of MusicNow Inc., previously Full Audio, which provides music distribution/download systems on the Web to such clients as Best Buy, SBC Yahoo! DSL, and Microsoft Windows Media. Glicker was also senior VP of worldwide marketing for the classical music division of BMG during the 1990s. He holds an MBA from the University of Michigan and a BA from Yale University, where he directed the Whiffenpoofs.

Glicker succeeds John Gidwitz who is stepping down after 20 years in the job and increasing the orchestra?s annual budget from $9 million to $26 million. BSO deficit is expected to reach over $3 million by the end of the current season.

BSO Board Chairman Philip D. English commented on Glicker?s ?passion and love for classical music,? calling him an ?extraordinary individual [with] outstanding business skills.? Glicker was chosen by an eight-member committee after a five-month international search.

?I trust fully the judgment of the search committee and board,? music director Yuri Temirkanov said in his prepared remarks. ?Their decision to appoint James Glicker as the new president of this Orchestra likewise has my support.?

Glicker?s style -- ear-ring and ponytail ? is rather more hip-casual than Temirkanov?s.

American Symphony Orchestra League president Henry Fogel called Glicker?s appointment ?intriguing.?

"There is a lot here to be excited about,? he told the The Baltimore Sun. ?It looks as though he has an entrepreneurial streak in him. I like that they found someone with a consumer-oriented background who also has deeply studied and loves music."

http://www.musicalamerica.com/newsStory.cf...yID=1&cookies=1