Cake sets record for lowest selling No. 1 album

The year is off to a rotten start for the music industry, with the new No. 1 album setting a new record for the smallest sales total.

Alternative rock band Cake debuted at No. 1 for the first time in its career after selling just 44,000 copies of its new album "Showroom of Compassion" during the week ended January 16, according to Nielsen SoundScan data issued Wednesday.

Here is a [url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110119/music_nm/us_sales;_ylt=AjV1QV9U6gnUR6JP7JT3g.aVEhkF;_ylu=X3oDMTJmcnQ1YjFkBGFzc2V0A25tLzIwMTEwMTE5L3VzX3NhbGVzBHBvcwMxNgRzZWMDeW5fcGFnaW5hdGVfc3VtbWFyeV9saXN0BHNsawNjYWtlc2V0c3JlY28-"]link to the story.[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Redneck4sure' date='20 January 2011 - 02:27 PM' timestamp='1295490450' post='192263']
The year is off to a rotten start for the music industry, with the new No. 1 album setting a new record for the smallest sales total.

Alternative rock band Cake debuted at No. 1 for the first time in its career after selling just 44,000 copies of its new album "Showroom of Compassion" during the week ended January 16, according to Nielsen SoundScan data issued Wednesday.

Here is a [url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110119/music_nm/us_sales;_ylt=AjV1QV9U6gnUR6JP7JT3g.aVEhkF;_ylu=X3oDMTJmcnQ1YjFkBGFzc2V0A25tLzIwMTEwMTE5L3VzX3NhbGVzBHBvcwMxNgRzZWMDeW5fcGFnaW5hdGVfc3VtbWFyeV9saXN0BHNsawNjYWtlc2V0c3JlY28-"]link to the story.[/url]
[/quote]

howdy red...how are ya...i blame those damn pirates...44,000 copies sold and half a million copies downloaded...talk about having your cake and downloading it too... :lol:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="425" height="344" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p99a6K81zqM" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

[quote name='KiwiCoromandel' date='29 January 2011 - 07:57 AM' timestamp='1296309471' post='192411']
howdy red...how are ya...i blame those damn pirates...44,000 copies sold and half a million copies downloaded...talk about having your cake and downloading it too... :lol:
[/quote]

Howdy mate!! I hope all is well down under! :thumbsup:

You may be right about [s]us[/s] those damn pirates! Only this time I know it isn't my fault! I have no idea who Cake is and after playing Dude's video I know I won't get caught downloading their album! I love being stuck in the past4sure!

I posted that article because it was news. Cake is not one of the artists on the Complete Motown Singles Collection so that puts them way down on my list to begin with. :smile:

On a pirating note, I bought 6 hard drives Thursday of 2tb each so I'm ready to lock and load.

I went to a record store last week. (yes, record store... they sell 12" round black thingies in a 12.25" square cardboard sleeve.) I bought 18 LPs. I haven't ripped one yet but I have played one side of one of the albums, [b]Jay & The Americans - Wax Museum[/b] if that counts. It is a promo copy but isn't in the best condition. My sound card wouldn't work correctly to adjust the recording vol but I had my son fix it. It seems that some update to something else jacked it up. He installed something else and now it works. I don't know... Anyway, that's all the "music related news" from my house. I'm not going to go into the "gun range news". :lol:

btw, you know I drive a vintage quad sound system and I [s]downloaded[/s] acquired a nice quad copy of John Lennon - Imagine. One of these days I'll get my computer wired to my receiver to play quad. Currently it is only hooked up to play stereo from the computer through the receiver.

Anyway, come to see me! Bring cash!

nice to see you alive and kicking mate...glad that you are enjoying life and putting your all into the music side of things....my best to your son...what would you do without him?...i`m still full on..burning up the bandwidth on my uncapped broadband connection..and building a fairly substantial collection of guitar driven rock...but, like you my friend i have an open mind (musically speaking.. :lol:)and jay and the americans sounds just as good to me as jimi hendrix...good music is good music..no matter what the style...i`ve always been aware that you and i have the best musical taste on the site...it must have been torture putting up with DAIC for all these lonely months...:lol:

Without my son to fix my computer I would have about as much of a chance of success as a good idea in the Yobama administration. I'm about as useful with computers as is a liberal at a common sense convention.

Speaking of left-wingers.... Dude's musical taste drifts pretty far off the beaten path 4sure. However, he has pm'ed me some winners. [b]Raphael Saadiq - The Way I See It[/b] (2008) comes to mind. Great album in the old Temptations R&B style.

No doubt about it though, WE have the best musical taste of anyone on this board! If you don't believe it, just ask us! :lol:

We probably have the most hard drive space too. :thumbsup:

[quote name='KiwiCoromandel' date='29 January 2011 - 11:50 PM' timestamp='1296373853' post='192437']
like you my friend i have an open mind (musically speaking.. :lol:)and jay and the americans sounds just as good to me as jimi hendrix...good music is good music..no matter what the style...i`ve always been aware that you and i have the best musical taste on the site...it must have been torture putting up with DAIC for all these lonely months...:lol:
[/quote]

[img]http://www.beatking.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/skullbones.gif[/img] [img]http://www.beatking.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/thefinger08.gif[/img][img]http://www.beatking.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/duel.gif[/img]