Turn off your windows messenger

Shawn

heh

I had no idea how easy it was to spam somebody over the net. If your Windows Messenger is running anyone can send a messege to your I.P.

Shouldn't be a threat, but it can be annoying.

--

To turn off in XP (to be honest I don't know if it works with older Operating Systems):

right click 'my computer'

choose manage

in the left hand panel window, expand "services and applications"

highlight 'services'

scroll down the 'services' list until you get to 'messenger'

right click it and choose 'properties'

under 'start up type', choose disabled

This has nothing to do with the chat service also labeled something or another messenger, it's fine to turn it off.

------

If your running XP and wondering what the hell I'm talking about, just post in here for a demonstration. Limited time offer. :lol:

I got a lot of messenger service pop ups when I used soulseek..... until I turned the service off.

Nice post Shawn.. I'm sure a lot of people dont know they can disable it :good job:

• 2 weeks later...

Or alternatively:

1.Shut down computer

2.Turn on computer

3.Quickly insert Linux disk

4.Install Linux (leave over an hour for RedHat9 full install)

5.When rebooted in Linux, swear at the lack of recogniniton for your Grafx card

6.Reboot again to try and get to a command prompt

7.Swear again when WinXP boots instead

8.Finally get to working, viewable version of Linux.

9.Swear again, cos your soundcard isn't recognised and nowhere has a driver for it

10 reboot to XP but promise to investigate Linux a bit more when you have more time

11.Select the 'shootthemessenger' link up there

12.Live happily for a brief while, knowing that messenger is turned off. :)

Or alternatively:

showoff. :lol: i think i posted this here already (my memory sucks) but in case not, if you want a very tiny IM app that talks to everything (ICQ, msn, yahoo, aol &c) try miranda.