Allman Brothers Band

desdemona

Well, after reading suggestions and comments about posting more personal reviews, I thought it might be appropriate to start with one of my favorite bands, The Allman Brothers Band. They have endured and marked the times, from their inception in the late sixties they were considered an uplifting jamband, of course that observation is from attending some live performances back in the 70's. Their claim to fame is the start of the southern rock genre, but the infusing of blues and jazz always brought surprises in concert. Duane Allman lays claim to being one of the finest guitarists of his time, and rock history, amazing what he accomplished before his death at the age of 25. It always amazed me that dispite all the stories of drug abuse, and alcohol abuse, they always gave an outstanding performance and continued to be creative, however, for me some of the best songs they did were covers of some of the early blues artists, and to be honest, I don't think they gave those artists the credit they deserved. stormy monday(t-bone walker) one way out (elmore james) trouble no more ( muddy waters) etc. , at the time I was listening to them I had no clue who the original artists were, but I do now, and the Allman Brothers have led me on a journey exploring all kinds of music. Well just a personal note to explain my slight obsession, lol

For a great chronology and history of the band I've included the link to their inductee page on the rock n roll hall of fame site, great reading. Hope I've enticed those that haven't listened to try them out, something from the past or current releases.

http://www.rockhall.com/hof/inductee.asp?id=57

post-38-1085012237_thumb.jpg

Edited by desdemona

that's a tough one for me umma, but I would say "eat a peach" you'd catch some of the southern rock along with the blues, I hear mdenise has it online, lol

I'm glad to see some fellow Allman Brothers Band fans here

They had so many greats here are some of my favorites:

Brothers and Sisters

An Evening with the Allman Brothers Band

Live at the Fillmore East

Reach for the Sky

Eat a Peach

Dreams

:strumma:

Eat a Peach and Live at the Filmore. I also like The Gregg Allman album...and Greg Allman's work on Derek and the Dominoes with Eric Clapton...

mxrob, try the new 2cd "one way out" great sound, combing the old with the new" and for the best of the blues the allmans did, "martin scorsese presents the allman brothers band" some tracks from filmore east and ludlow garage a great live blues performance in cincinnati with bbking and others

Ever see them, Ms D. I saw them with the dead in DC, and at Watkins Glen with the Band and the Dead. Pretty impressive (from what i can remember lol)

tsk tsk dude, you didn't read my original post, lol I saw them back in the 70's when they played pittsburgh, I remember starting to laugh when they jammed to whippin post, the escalation that leads to the end was like fireworks, lol I saw them in some sort of jam with "the band" and eric clapton as the headliner, he walked off stage ( got hit in the head with a beer bottle), and recently I saw them again in pittsburgh last summer, they still sounded great and I liked the new addition of warran haynes and dereck trucks, trucks was just amazing, he plays slide guitar and has a sound all his own, I've become a fan of his, gregg allman cleaned up and his voice was back to what it used to be, so distinctive, unfortunately dickey betts isn't with them anymore, and you can tell by the repetoire, not as much southern rock, but they still played liz reed, more blues rock than anything, the bass player said sometimes he feels like he's being chased by a freight train and if you listen to their new cds you'll hear it :)

i kinda remember that concert--was that in 3 Rivers stadium? I think I might have gone to it lol 1975. Wasnt there a Northern Lights happening in the sky? Or was I under the influence of some psychedelic???!!! :lol:

omg dude, yeah that was it! on the way home I didn't know the northern lights were suppose to be in the sky, I was high and stopped the car to look, lol we thought it was the end of the world or something :wacko:

there ya go! lol what a bummer eric clapton, lol guess it wasn't his kind of crowd, 3 rivers was wild for concerts, saw almost everyone there ;)

kent state and ysu, lol I'm from the youngstown area, out in the suburbs, right in between cleveland and pittsburgh, ever been to blossom?

okkkkkkkkk, there ya go! too cool dude, I wanna tell ya, lol small world, well pretty close anyways, I don't know where you are now but plan on seeing the allmans again at the post gazette pavillion in august, be there or be ?

Im in LA. A couple years ago, a bass player friend was playng with them, and promised me to get me tickets--but at the last minute the Bros got stingy--no free tickets for the band members... So I will have to wait... Oddly enough, I once gave a ride ot a young kid who was hitchhiking--he said Duane Allman was his dad and asked me if I ever heard of the band The Allman Bros. I guess the kid was out here trying to make it in music...

I also like The Duane Allman album...and Greg Allman's work on Derek and the Dominoes with Eric Clapton...

I think maybe you got the brothers backwards...I don't recall Duane having an album totally of his own, although Gregg has had several. It definitely was Duane, not Gregg who played with Derek & The Dominos.

but, but, there is a great "duane allman anthology" includes all his work with the allman brothers along with his work as a sessions artist with alot of r&b stars. :rolleyes:

Edited by desdemona

ABB Weekend in New York Proves A Beacon To Guests

The Allman Brothers band closed out its Beacon Theater run this past weekend, with a number of perfomers joining her group on stage. On Saturday, three quarters of Deep Fried: Matt Abts, Brian Stoltz and Johnny Neel sat in during "You Don't Love Me" while Lee Roy Parnell appeared during "Done Somebody Wrong." The next night, the Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes horn section appeared in the first set during "I've Been Loving You For Too Long", "The Same Thing" and " The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." Later, longtime Howlin' Wolf collaborator, septuagenarian Hubert Sumlin added guitar to "44 Blues." A version of "Feel so Bad" featured DTB vocalist Mike Mattison as, well as Susan Tedeschi. The second set concluded with Mike Gordon joining in for "Southbound." The ABB then returned to the stage to close out the 2004 Beacon run the way it began, with "Mountain Jam."

http://www.jambands.com/NewsArchives.phtml

• 1 month later...