How to install Windows 7 from USB flash drive or USB pen Drive for Windows XP users

Moneoa

Can't take credit for writing it, only for passing it on.

If any of you know the pain of trying to get Xp to install from USB then you might want to read this :bouncy:

How to Install Windows 7 from USB Flash Drive

Requirement:

1-USB Pen Drive (Min 4 GB)

2-Windows 7 ISO (32 bit or 64 bit)

3-MBRwiz - http://mbrwizard.com/index.php

Download and Extract it on your hard drive (Diskpart utility for Windows XP doesn’t detect USB drive as Disk hence we need to use this free utility to make bootable USB drive).

WARNIN-MBZWIZ IS FREEWARE ONLY IF USED FOR PERSONAL USE, YOU CAN DL AND INSTALL AND USE IN FULL WITHOUT PAYING A DIME. THERE IS NOTHING BEFORE DURING OR AFTER YOU DL INSTALL AND USE THAT ASKS FOR MONEY

1. Connect your USB Flash Drive to your computer Format USB drive

2. To Format USB Flash Drive Go to My Computer -> Right click on USB drive and select Format from context menu.

faq4.jpg

3. Now go to Start Menu->run->cmd (Open Command Prompt) and Type following command convert i: /fs:ntfs

(Where “I” is your USB drive latter)

faq5.jpg

4. Mount Windows 7 iso as drive (You can use Freeware MagicDisc download from here).

5. Type Start->run->cmd

Now dir to directory where you have extracted MBRWiz and run following commands

mbrwiz /list (note down disk number of your USB Pen drive)

mbrwiz /disk=X /active=X (X is Disk Number of your USB Drive)

exit

faq6.jpg

6. Now open another command window and type following command

J: (Drive letter of Windows 7 iso mounted with demon tool)

CD boot

bootsect /nt60 Y: (Y is drive latter of your USB drive )

faq7.jpg

7. Open My Computer and click on "tools" and then folder options and then select the second tab and find the option "show hidden files or folders" select that and make sure "Hide protected operating system files" is NOT checked

(Warning deleting or altering any protected file may make your system unstable or crash. be sure to change this option back at the end of this exercise)

8. Now copy all files from drive where you have mount Windows 7 iso, remember all the files must be copied to the usb key

9. Now reboot your computer and press F12 to get your BIOS boot choice screen (Varies by OEM, Check your Manufacturers Website) and select USB drive as your boot drive. You can also go into your BIOS Settings under "Boot" and arrange boot sequence so USB or Removable Media is on the top of the list

10. If every thing goes fine, Your Windows 7 Installation should start from your USB drive.

This should work on not only a USB drive but an external HDD provided the Partition is active and bootable AND your BIOS supports booting from removable media, check your Manufacturers website if you are unsure but most new laptops and computers allow booting from removable media.

This type of install is perfect for netbooks that lack an optical drive or units that have a burnt out optical drive

Edited by Moneoa

welcome to beatking Moneoa....

...or you can use this...for free...A Bootable USB utility to create bootable USB drives for Win 7 and Server 2008

(From www.askvg.com)

Imagine a situation where you need to install Windows Vista or 7 in a system but you don't have access to DVD drive. We all know Windows Vista, Server 2008 or 7 comes in DVDs and you'll need a DVD drive to install them. Then how will you install them? The solution is, you can create a bootable USB drive which can be used to install Windows without using DVD drive.

An askvg.com reader created a small utility which creates a bootable USB drive to install Windows Vista, Server 2008 or Windows 7.

Prerequisites:

* A USB Drive (4 GB or more)

* Windows Vista, Server 2008 or 7 ISO image or DVD

* Host OS: Windows Vista (SP1 or SP2), Server 2008 or 7

How to Use:

Once you meet the requirements, run the utility. Its a portable utility so doesn't need installation. Simply run it and check the option "I have read and accepted the following License Agreement". Now click on OK button and it'll launch the main application.

A Bootable USB utility to create bootable USB drives for Win 7 and Server 2008:

download here: http://cid-f52381d9f2fd5fd8.skydrive.live....owse.aspx/ABUSB

post-193-1258713470_thumb.png

post-193-1258713975_thumb.png

actually your follow up post and your assumption that Im selling anything is crappy.

check your P.M's

I guess rather than contribute to the community in a good fashion you'd rather I lurk for another 4 years.

Read someones post before assuming garbage

From mbrwiz website

We currently provide three released versions of MBRWizard for download, each targeted for a specific operating system. MBRWizard versions 1.x and 2.x are offered as freeware for personal use only. Please contact us for pricing if interested in commercial use.

Unless you are trying to imply I am trying to get people to do this commercailly for hundereds of machines then I bid you good day sir

Edited by Moneoa

Tsk tsk tsk...and to think i welcomed you to Beatking Moneona..or is that Moneyona?

First i`m not a staff member...and i`m not employed by beatking...i`m a site moderator...second...i made no such assumptions.....in my post i said..and this is the important bit mate..."OR you can use this...for free...A Bootable USB utility to create bootable USB drives for Win 7 and Server 2008".

WHAT`S WRONG WITH THAT... :mad2:

..but i digress....here`s the main reason i posted what i did...

"Microsoft had recently released a utility that allowed you to make a USB memory stick to install Windows 7 on computer’s that did not have a DVD drive. However Rafael Rivera of the “Within Windows” blog pointed out that the tool contained some GPL v2 licenced code and Microsoft have now quickly removed it from their web site. UPDATE: Microsoft has admitted that they violated the GPL v2 licence and have now released the tool under open source. In any case the instructions below show you how to build a much better bootable USB install memory stick that allows you to install ANY version of Windows 7."

http://windows7center.com/news/microsofts-...drive-yourself/

Read someones post before assuming garbage

hey mate..i did read your post and checked the 3rd party address details provided in that post:

http://mbrwizard.com/index.php:

the site says that the MBR software offered is free for personal use...that`s why your post is still there...so back off..

"Unless you are trying to imply I am trying to get people to do this commercailly for hundereds of machines then I bid you good day sir"

did i say that?.. :o... i didn`t say that...did i say that?..you`re putting words in my mouth sir..good day to you too.. :lol:

Staff, Moderator....dude you work for the webiste clearing spam hence your staff but I digress.

I guess team memeber iis more fitting?

Moneyoa is a good title except I have never spammed anything that costs money.

By saying OR you can try this for free it implies that the other method is NOT free

I have never spammed in my life and I dont intend now.

AS for misreading it hey, im sorry dude I just kind of thought "woah, WTF is this"

*shrug*

No idea why I hit report except I was feeling the urge to debate the subject but thats assinine on my part and was a knee jerk reaction. I know that to debate I should crawl back to ZP where I wipe the floors myself.

It's all good Kiwi I have no issues except I am a poor communicator at a keyboard when lacking the body language cues.

Staff, Moderator....dude you work for the webiste clearing spam hence your staff but I digress.

No idea why I hit report except I was feeling the urge to debate the subject but thats assinine on my part and was a knee jerk reaction. I know that to debate I should crawl back to ZP where I wipe the floors myself.

It's all good Kiwi I have no issues except I am a poor communicator at a keyboard when lacking the body language cues.

I don`t work for the site clearing spam..lets get that clear mate....i leave it to admin or our god in heaven Dudeasincool to make site policy for decisions of such importance..if i see something that i think stretches the Beatking SPAM comfort zone...i will report to my superiors..and defer to their wiser heads on the matter of whether the shit is SPAM or not....if i think that something posted in Tech is SPAM..well then... i will try to find and post a viable freeware or opensource alternative..and i make no apologies for that...i run a business myself and am an avowed capitalist...so i understand the need for software coders to make a dollar...i do, however, draw the line at blatant commercially - driven software spamming on public sites..which is what Beatking is..a public site...and, as a site moderator i do reserve the right to run an alternative post in any thread on this site if i think it is necessary for reasons of bias and/or balance.

Having said that mate no offence is taken and none intended..i used to belong to Zeropaid once...many years ago...i left because some of the mods were shitheads and treated everyone who had a different opinion to theirs like fucking morons...i`m glad to see that attitudes have changed...

How about a group hug??!!!

Except for Dude. I ain't huggin' no damn liberal. :lol:

I'm also going to wait a while before I change from XP. How many of you guys are running Windows 7 ? How ya like it? I'll bet 5 bucks that Kiwi has tried/uses it. I'll bet 10 bucks that Dude doesn't have it. lol How about you Moneoa? I'm guessing that you use Windows 7 or you wouldn't have posted the info above. My son runs Windows 7 but he also has his machine set up to multiboot from several operating systems. My computer only has XP installed. I don't have multiboot options. You multiboot don't you, Kiwi? I never even tried Vista either. I heard so much negative about Vista that I skipped it completely.

Of course, I heard a lot of negatives about getting married but I still had to find out for myself that all the negatives were true. :sad:

i`m multi-booting windoze se7en and ubuntu 9.10 at the moment..the missus is on XP SP3 and my youngest daughter has a new laptop running Vista Ultimate SP2 on 4GB of ram..she reckons its great..fast as..my oldest daughter uses Vista ultimate as well...she loves it...

I figgered you were a multibooter. I'm doin' good to get one boot on. :lol:

I think my warden wife runs Vista. I never touch her computer so I'm not sure. I'm sure she is not a multibooter.

We only have 2 boots between us and they don't match. :lol: