5th Dimension -- Stoned Soul Picnic (Video - 1968)

DudeAsInCool

This song popped into my head this morning while I was ordering breakfast :lol: Not sure why, but it's the kind of thing that used to play on the radio during the summer

"Stoned Soul Picnic" was a popular song from the year 1968. The most known version of the song was recorded by The 5th Dimension, and was the first single released from their album of the same title. It was the most successful single from that album, reaching #3 on the U.S. Pop charts[1] and #2 on the Billboard Black Songs chart. The song was also recorded by its composer, Laura Nyro, and released on her Eli and the Thirteenth Confession album in the same year.

Here is the original

Live

I have several of their vinyl albums and several cds. They are one of my favorite groups. Marilyn McCoo also released (and I bought) a grammy nominated solo gospel album in 1991 titled, "The Me Nobody Knows".

Florence LaRue

Marilyn McCoo

Billy Davis Jr.

Ron Townson (died 2001)

Lamont McLemore

Marilyn McCoo was a real beauty. She won Miss Bronze California beauty contest in 1962.

And she has a voice that few can match. :thumbsup:

I think Florence LaRue was lovely too. She won Miss Bronze California talent contest in 1964.

Both women are still alive and probably are still beautiful. I guess I shouldn't have spoken of their beauty in the past tense. :o

I'm still alive and I'm as beautiful as ever so I guess it could happen for them too. :lol:

Both women are still alive and probably are still beautiful. I guess I shouldn't have spoken of their beauty in the past tense. :o

I'm still alive and I'm as beautiful as ever so I guess it could happen for them too. :lol:

I think you've been hanging in the hot tub too long, Red

post-9-1248399253_thumb.jpg

I've still got my hand on the light switch.

Your light switch. :lol:

Yeah - well I have some leftover California kool aid for you from THIS man - it's even in your color. It will light your socks off :lol:

post-9-1248403092_thumb.jpg

Here is one (of a dozen lol) of my favorite 5th Dimension songs (Marilyn McCoo on lead vocal). This is the original version.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

Here is a live clip of her singing it sometime in the 80s. Poor quality vid but it's on youtube so poor quality is standard.

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

btw Dude. The reporter for NBC that got murdered in Jonestown was the only person I can think of right off hand that I ever knew personally that got murdered. He used to live about a block from me when he lived in Dallas and he was an occasional customer at the garden center where I worked right after I got out of high school. His tv name was Don Harris. His real name was Roy Humphrey. He was also from Georgia. That's how we got started talking. He picked up on my Georgia accent and we talked for a while. Whenever he would come into the garden center he would look for me to get me to help him. He seemed like a real nice and down to earth guy. He worked for Channel 8 news while in Dallas.

I find it interesting that you insert him into a thread about the 5th Dimension. It is a very strange world you live in. :lol:

...Kinda reminds me of a song called Master Jack by a South African group called Four Jacks and a Jill. "It's a strange, strange world we live in Master Jack". I think Glynnis (lead singer) knew you. :lol:

I thought Glynnis was too cute.

My Billboard chart info lists this as being #18 on the charts. The comments for youtube say it made it to #8. I dunno. Cashbox lists it as being #10 on June 1st 1968. Lets just say it was their biggest hit.

Edited by Redneck4sure

Redneck4sure: I find it interesting that you insert him into a thread about the 5th Dimension. It is a very strange world you live in.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Red. The mere inference of Enron just about sends any Californian into the Fifth Dimension B)

Sorry to hear about your friend, Red. The mere inference of Enron just about sends any Californian into the Fifth Dimension B)

Fifth dimension, my ass! Y'all are in the Twilight Zone.

How the Hell did Enron get into this thread? :lol:

Shit! I need to turn off your electricity.

...again. :lol:

• 8 years later...