filesharing

desdemona

I've read posts throughout the beat and seems like users are divided both ways but I just want to say I've mentioned that I share music, I've shared with musicians and non- musicians alike and the impression I get is that the boom in concert goers and the notoriety alot of new musicians are getting is due to filesharing, I think it's probably a well known fact they get very little from the actual record sales, their biggest income is from their performances in concert.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, I still buy cds, lol but it's not feasible to buy cds to replace all the vinyl I'd collected and alot of the music shared is old and hard to find other that in these filesharing arenas. I guess I just wanted to say this has opened really enabled me to listen to alot of music I never would have known about otherwise. I hope this doesn't offend any users here or musicians that have recording labels, I welcome your opinions. :rolleyes:

I have a lot of vinyl albums that I'd love to replace with Cds that I would gladly purchase. The problem is that those albums aren't available in the USA now or are out of print here and/or overseas. I'm a market that they're not serving. Those overseas or out of print CDs pop up from time to time on different sites, so I go where I can find the music I want.

well dude I still have a turntable :P I suppose if I got ambitious I could connect the turntable to my computer and dl the album then convert it to cd but I just haven't gotten that involved in it yet, what do you think? is the sound any better than the first time you played the vinyl or do you think cd quality is superior?

i would agree filesharing is the new paradigm for breaking new artists...

(i have a benjamin miracord turntable, which was once top of the line--unfortunately, a stupid roommate let an iron drop on top of it.. but if anyone wants the records, some are collectors items...jj cale, ry cooder, etc. you can have em; in edition we have a barrell at home of oriiginal edison recordings, pre-78s... my mother would love someone to take them)

in terms of the sound, vinyl sounds brighter...but im not that much of a purist, as good music rises above the platform its played on

I have a lot of music on LPs and original CDs also. I've spent a fortune on these in fact BUT filesharing has also opned up new horizons for me. Music I didn't know and new artists are in my share now and that's because of digital sharing. We all come from Zeropaid and we've had a lot of discussions over this and I've come to one conclusion...

whatever is better for your pocket!

omg dude, you don't want those? jj cale, vinyl, amazing, but I don't understand, tell me again why you don't want these, you can get a turntable easy,lol

.. i had about 600 albums stolen in college...at that time, i had, well, everything :)

there maybe about 50-100 albums, and they just sit there... someone might

appreciate them better... hard to say what the condition is...

I've got stacks of around 200 classic rock vinyl albums sitting on the floor in the living room, waiting to be auctioned on ebay or whatever....stuff I've had for 30 + years in some cases. Storage space is finite around here, plus I've replaced them with CD's or mp3. To everything turn, turn, turn......

In reference to des's main point, yes I do think filesharing helps an artist get fannies in the seats at concerts. I would never have heard literally hundreds of great artists by listening to the radio.

exactly what i was gonna post.

I too think filesharing has helped to promote a lot of artists worldwide.... and done a better job of it than the music industry could ever have hoped to achieve.

bad news for amerika: Congress Moves to Criminalise P2P it's orrin hatch again. he and '...Patrick Leahy introduced a bill that would allow the Justice Department to pursue civil cases against file sharers, again making it easier for law enforcement to punish people trading copyright music over peer-to-peer networks. They dubbed the bill "Protecting Intellectual Rights Against Theft and Expropriation Act of 2004," or the Pirate Act.'

fuckin morons...i'd love to have the time to research & root out their real agenda.

:lol: OMG, i'm shocked! :lol:

thank you rainbowdemon. ;)

• 3 months later...

we never really answered commented on the discussion of which is better, that first play on vinyl or a remastered cd.

I vote for the first play on vinyl, I don't think you ever get that sound again.