Aida32 Discontinued

grab_grab_the_haddock

The ultra useful sys-info tool aida32 is no longer in development according to its developer. He also claims the source code cannot be made open because of a license agreement. From the website:

http://www.aida32.hu

"As of March 24, 2004 we have decided to discontinue the development project that we all know as AIDA32. Development of AIDA32 has been started years ago, and the project went first public in April 2001. AIDA32 has become the de facto standard for both home and corporate system diagnosis and network audit, winning several awards including "Freeware Product of the Year" by Support alert newsletter in December 2002.

Aida32.hu has well served this project almost without any issues, providing access to over half a million of users in 150 countries worldwide. For the exceptional quality of service, we'd like to send our special thanks to Hunet Kft, our internet service provider and software supplier. "

Would anyone happen to know the reason why they stopped development?

That hasnt been made public, but i have heard their may be a shareware version in the pipeline. Nothing has been announced yet though, so who knows?

Theres a big discussion about this on alt.comp.freeware for anyone who is interested.

• 2 weeks later...
Sisoft my ass...

'Sandra' seems to be what the Brit press use, and it seems to be a better program (in my limited experience) than Aida (mainly cos it can tell what temp my CPU et al are running at).

Otherwise, they both seem much of a muchness, but I would like to know why you treat it with such contempt?

I don't profess to know everything, and would be very interested if there are any reasons why you choose not to use SisSoft's 'Sandra'

Sisoft my ass...

'Sandra' seems to be what the Brit press use, and it seems to be a better program (in my limited experience) than Aida (mainly cos it can tell what temp my CPU et al are running at).

Otherwise, they both seem much of a muchness, but I would like to know why you treat it with such contempt?

I don't profess to know everything, and would be very interested if there are any reasons why you choose not to use SisSoft's 'Sandra'

when I see two programs that do the exact same thing and one of those charge for the damn thing then I automatically hate the paid one. I think that's a very good reason right?

when I see two programs that do the exact same thing and one of those charge for the damn thing then I automatically hate the paid one. I think that's a very good reason right?

In a capitalist society, it's the best reason.

However, in my ignorance (read: defence) I wasn't aware that SiSoft's Sandra had to be purchased, because I got hold of my copy when it came free on a CD with a computer Mag.

Mind you, I also wonder just how much more people need to know about their computers?

After all, the current Aida32 seems fairly futureproof, and although it's a shame that less and less seem willing to provide something for nothing, I'm sure there'll be future incarnations. I'm also sure you'll have to pay for them.

Call me cynical, but I'm sure that's where it's heading.

...almost forgot - thanks for making me look at Aida32 again - I've just discovered the massive list of web links :)