The Rolling Stones - Satisfaction (1964 • Video)

DudeAsInCool

Keith Richards talks with Guitar World about the song's unique guitar sound. The song we are familiar was a demo that became a hit before they could change it!

"When I wrote the song, I didn’t think of that particular riff as the big guitar riff. That all fell into place at RCA [recording studio in L.A.] when Gibson dumped on me one of those first Fuzz-Tone pedals. I actually thought of that guitar line as a horn riff. The way Otis Redding ended up doing it is probably closer to my original conception for the song. It’s an obvious horn riff. And when this new Fuzz Tone pedal arrived in the studio from the local dealership or something, I said, “Oh, this is good. It’s got a bit of sustain, so I can use it to sketch out the horn line.” So we left the track and went back out on the road. And two weeks later I hear it on the radio. I said, “No, that was just a demo!” They said, “No, it’s a hit.” At least Otis got it right. Our version was a demo for Otis."

interesting vid, Dude.

You can find 2 copies of Otis Redding singing that tune >>here<<.

One copy (320mp3) is a live recording of him at the Monterey International Pop Festival (1970).

The other copy (256mp3) is a studio recording that came off a greatest hits album.

Otis still sang pretty good in 1970, considering he died in 1967....

I thought so too that is why I included it. Most people went to the show in June of 1967. I don't know why he bothered to show up dead 3 years late and still sing. We have a real mystery.