Report: McCartney says he's the political Beatle

Singer claims he, not Lennon, advocated group's anti-war stance

LONDON - Paul McCartney claims that he was the real politicized figure in The Beatles, not John Lennon, according to an interview published Sunday.

McCartney was quoted as saying it was he who first raised concerns over the Vietnam war within the group and advocated their anti-war stance.

Fans have long regarded Lennon, who wrote songs such as "Revolution" and — in later years — "Give Peace a Chance," as the group's authentic political voice.

:link:

2gujfo1.jpg

Macca never said a public word against the tyranny of the Bush administration...would have been bad for his music sales, you know. Some of those consumers might have been Republican.

What this does show is that McCartney is even more insecure than even the admittedly insecure John Lennon.

mccartney has had plenty of political stances, it's just that none of them (publically) had to do with humans. the "off the ground" album (horrible) had all sorts of anti-animal testing veggie crap, not to mention his go veggie simpsons episodes. he was the pretty face of the group, if he did anything political, it was behind the scenes. if he was anti-vietnam, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch, of course i would have figured it would be about overburdened water buffalos or something

he has a few songs about sexism/women (another day, elanor rigby) maybe they aren't as graphic as lennon's "woman is the nigger of the world" but they get a similar point across

mccartney has had plenty of political stances, it's just that none of them (publically) had to do with humans. the "off the ground" album (horrible) had all sorts of anti-animal testing veggie crap, not to mention his go veggie simpsons episodes. he was the pretty face of the group, if he did anything political, it was behind the scenes. if he was anti-vietnam, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch, of course i would have figured it would be about overburdened water buffalos or something

he has a few songs about sexism/women (another day, elanor rigby) maybe they aren't as graphic as lennon's "woman is the nigger of the world" but they get a similar point across

the new album is his best in decades

the new album is his best in decades

"flowers in the dirt" was the last one that had anything i liked. personally, i think political musicians are more pretentious and annoying than regular musicians. john lennon, bono, mccartney. as frank zappa said, "shut up and play yer guitar"

i really really hate bono. what a twat

"flowers in the dirt" was the last one that had anything i liked. personally, i think political musicians are more pretentious and annoying than regular musicians. john lennon, bono, mccartney. as frank zappa said, "shut up and play yer guitar"

i really really hate bono. what a twat

You should join with Umma and star a Bono-haters blog. I might join :) Here's a cut from the Fireman album. The video is lame, but I like the music. This has a pop feel - the rest is more experimental - the music reminds me of The White Album.

reminds me of billy joel in about 1989. of course you probably already figured out i'm a george and ringo man.. it has to be said--no individual beatle effort can compare to the group work of the beatles. the longer paul and ringo live, the worse their efforts will seem. lennon clocked out early, in his prime. his ratio of shit to gold is pretty low (if you don't blame the yoko stuff on him) george had a good run, but he produced a lot of dogs. songwise, he made some of the best (here comes the sun, guitar gently weeps, give love (give me peace on earth), etc. ringo did well because his albums were beatle albums. the other 3 wrote and performed on his albums, and the results were great. he knows his limitations and surrounds himself with talent (all-starr band). he doesn't take himself too seriously, and to be honest, nobody ever expected anything good from him, so it was easy to exceed expectations. paul? he made a lot of crap. a shit ton of sappy garbage. his albums usually have 1 great song and 9 or 10 that are complete crap. he played the "cute" card for too long. after 1983, he wasn't cute anymore. he has celebrity syndrome. like bono, will smith and tom cruise, he thinks that because he believes something, and is also rich and famous, he is right and that people should listen to him. he is separated from reality

I liked his first solo effort - it was a bit raw, but the songs weren't bad. Havent like much of anything since ... until the new album, which is more an experiment. I think the Beatles collectively were at their best when they tried things that were different.