Bush Vs Kerry

DudeAsInCool

McCain rejects Kerry's VP overture

Republican Sen. John McCain has personally rejected John Kerry's overtures to join the Democratic presidential ticket and forge a bipartisan alliance against President Bush, The Associated Press has learned.

Kerry has asked McCain as recently as late last month to consider becoming his running mate, but the Arizona senator said he's not interested, said a Democratic official who spoke on condition of anonymity because Kerry has insisted that his deliberations be kept private. A second official familiar with the conversations confirmed the account, and said the Arizona senator made it clear he won't change his mind.

http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2004/06/11/...s/index_np.html

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NYTimes/CBS Poll: Bush and Kerry in Dead Heat

Poll: White House Race Tightens Up

(CBS) Despite concerns about his handling of Iraq, and an overall approval rating of 42%, George W. Bush is still running neck and neck with Democrat John Kerry as the choice of registered voters. Growing public optimism about the nation’s economy has helped lift support for the President.

Kerry is the choice of 45% of registered voters, Bush the choice of 44%. This is a sharp turnaround for the Bush campaign in the span of just one month; in May, Kerry had opened up a wide 8-point lead over Bush. The race has been close since April.

For a closer look at the race, read here:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/06/28/...ain626478.shtml

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX WED JUNE 30, 2004 11:18:25 ET XXXXX

VICE PRESIDENT HILLARY; SPECULATION INTENSIFIES IN WASHINGTON

Official Washington and the entire press corps will be rocked when Hillary Rodham Clinton is picked as Kerry's VP and a massive love fest will begin!

So predicts a top Washington insider, who spoke to the DRUDGE REPORT on condition he not be named.

"All the signs point in her direction," said the insider, one of the most influential and well-placed in the nation's capital. "It is the solution to every Kerry problem."

• 2 weeks later...

NAACP exhorts voters to oust Bush

Group condemns education, economic policies

Monday, July 12, 2004 Posted: 7:52 AM EDT (1152 GMT)

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- NAACP chairman Julian Bond urged members of the nation's oldest civil rights organization to increase voter turnout to oust President Bush, and condemned the administration's policies on education, the economy and the war in Iraq.

"They preach racial neutrality and practice racial division," Bond said Sunday night in the 95th annual convention's keynote address. "They've tried to patch the leaky economy and every other domestic problem with duct tape and plastic sheets. They write a new constitution of Iraq and they ignore the Constitution here at home."

Volunteers with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People have been working on voter drives in black communities across the country, registering more than 100,000 so far in 11 key states, including Georgia, Florida, Tennessee and New Mexico, Bond said.

Bond, a leader in the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee during the 1960s civil rights movement and a Georgia legislator for 20 years, became chairman of the NAACP in 1998.

Leaders of the Baltimore-based group are upset that President Bush has no plans to attend the convention. Bush spoke at the 2000 NAACP convention when he was a candidate but has declined invitations to speak in each year of his presidency, making him the first president since the 1930s to skip it, officials said.

Democratic challenger John Kerry has accepted an invitation to speak Thursday on the final day of the convention, the group said.

Bond said that 50 years after Brown v. Board of Education, the landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision on school desegregation, and 40 years after the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, schools remain segregated based on income, and racism still exists in many forms.

Minority children still face inequality in school spending and are being disproportionately hurt by the accountability aims of Bush's No Child Left Behind Act, he said.

"On our present course, we are formalizing two school systems: one filled with middle-class children, most of them white, and the other filled with low-income minorities," Bond said.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/12/...n.ap/index.html

Due to the appointments of Rice and Powell, these claims are completely unfounded.

There... I saved some time. ;)

that doesn't mean a thing shawn, his policies are what matter, he's afraid to talk in a forum that isn't totally receptive to him, what a coward, only proves his character to me, julian bond is an educated and respected politician from back in the 60's, he wouldn't be speaking out if he didn't think bush's policies were causing more harm than good. Powell was respected and was already chief of staff, he had the credentials, just switched to the republican party and was considering running for president, that was a political appointment, rice supposedly had the credentials but lately I'm not so sure about that, I certainly hope he didn't appoint them on the basis of race.

• 1 month later...

Shawn was kidding. That would be a funny statement. I could imagine Bush coming out during a speech and stating all is null and void because he appointed Powell and Rice.

I believe Rice's appointment was a mistake. I don't care what kind of relationship she has with the president or what her "cold war" record was.

We're in a different situation now and I don't think she's cut out to handle it.

Shawn was kidding. That would be a funny statement. I could imagine Bush coming out during a speech and stating all is null and void because he appointed Powell and Rice.

I believe Rice's appointment was a mistake. I don't care what kind of relationship she has with the president or what her "cold war" record was.

We're in a different situation now and I don't think she's cut out to handle it.

Rice's appointment was a mistake in the sense that she doesn't have a grasp of the job description, as her 9-11 panel testimony clearly showed. She is, however, a tenacious and loyal supporter of Bush who will go to any lengths to protect him, as her truth-bending 9-11 testimony also shows.

Colin Powell was the one who made the mistake in taking the Sec. Of State job. Powell had great support from Republicans AND Democrats before accepting...now, after being used as a token player and a fall guy by the Bush administration, he's wrecked a once-promising political future. He'll forever be tainted by what Bush has done and his support (albeit tepid at times) of these destructive actions.

the Duh Preznit admits he made a mistake in this NYTimes interview (reg required):

'Bush also acknowledged for the first time that he made a "miscalculation of what the conditions would be'' in postwar Iraq. But he insisted that the 17-month-long insurgency that has upended the administration's plans for the country was the unintended by-product of a "swift victory'' against Saddam Hussein's military, which fled and then disappeared into the cities, enabling them to mount a rebellion against the American forces far faster than Mr. Bush and his aides had anticipated.'

*WELL DUH!

'He insisted that his strategy had been "flexible enough'' to respond, and said that even now "we're adjusting to our conditions'' in places like Najaf, where American forces have been battling one of the most militant of the Shiite groups opposing the American-installed government.

'Mr. Bush deflected efforts to inquire further into what went wrong with the occupation, suggesting that such questions should be left to historians, and insisting, as his father used to, that he would resist going "on the couch'' to rethink decisions...'

'...On environmental issues, Mr. Bush appeared unfamiliar with an administration report delivered to Congress on Wednesday that indicated that emissions of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases were the only likely explanation for global warming over the last three decades. Previously, Mr. Bush and other officials had emphasized uncertainties in understanding the causes and consequences of global warming.

The new report was signed by Mr. Bush's secretaries of energy and commerce and his science adviser. Asked why the administration had changed its position on what causes global warming, Mr. Bush replied, "Ah, we did? I don't think so."

*what a dumbass--it's his stupidity that gets to me almost more than anything else. i'm so ashamed of him but i'm LMAO. what a fucking dunce! (read the article, there's more stoopit shit)

"Let's turn a corner, any corner"

An exclusive look at George W. Bush's nomination speech.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

By Joyce McGreevy

Aug. 27, 2004  |  I'm George Bush, and I'm reporting for -- I'm making a report. When you make a report it is a reported entity. I ascended this country as a young man, and I will suspend it as president. (Applause.)

I want to thank everybody who's here. And I want to thank 'em right quick for everybody who's not here. Some people don't think like us. They wear T-shirts with bad words on them. That is my name on those T-shirts. I just want to reach out to those people and say, You know, we all have a obligation to vote. But that doesn't mean you have to.

People got lives, people got families. There's schools out there with tests to take, folks with meals to eat of some sort or other. People busy doing decent things with their neighbors as they would like to be done decent to themselves. People who don't want to waste their god-fearing time explaining to an FBI agent who enters their home late at night whether they accidentally committed voter fraud. Which a lot of people probably commit and do not know it until they are in jail. And when that happens to your elderly grandmother it is sad. It threatens the security of this country.

For those of you here who are moderates, I want to thank you for encouraging your fellow citizens to go to the polls. (Applause.) Please stand over there with Tweeter so he and his boys can get a good look at you. That's right, just walk over with those fine men so they can ask you a few questions and what all.

Let me get on with the thanking. We ought to do more thanking, less thinking. No one ever says "think you." That's got to tell you something. I want to thank veterans for setting such a good example for the folks who wear the uniform today. I would not have known what to wear on that aircraft carrier if it hadn't a been for you.

I also want to thank a boatload of veterans with whom I have no association. Bible says the race is not always to the swift. We'll see about that. Bunch of you pointed out that if John Kerry doesn't want his record of admirable service in Vietnam to be attacked, he shouldn't have had a record in the first place. He kind of set himself up for that one by serving admirably and then testifying to the Senate about the lessons of Vietnam. You didn't see me doing that.

Then John Kerry gets himself another record by serving admirably in the Senate and there you go again. If you got a record of admirable service, folks is naturally going to attack it. Look what happened to John McCain, and he's a friend of mine. And Max Cleland, and he is not. But they had a record. So you shouldn't have any. I sure don't. Or maybe you had records, but someone kept inadvertently expunging them, so what is the point? Records threaten the security of this country.

I'm not even running on a record of my first term as president. Why should I? Would you? We should just keep it positive. So let's turn a corner, any corner, and spread the good word that America is now so much safer that terrorists could attack us at any minute, and you might be one of them.

If you are a decent folk, don't let the gay spouses get you down. One day they will thank us for protecting them from the marriage penalty, just like the poor people thank us already for protecting them from a death tax in case they ever win the Powerball.

I also remind you that just like the wars of the past, we have got to keep fighting wars of the present and the future. Then go back to the past and start again. We're fighting deadly enemies. Not all of them will fall for the Applebee's coupons or want to see a show on Broadway. Which is what protesters do. They enjoy the arts. They cause terrible harm to lawns. But we will protect and defend that piece of environment.

That's why we're depending on your support. I just came out of a fancy chopper that some brave soldier is going to be flying soon in Iraq. And I told him, and I can tell his loved ones, he'll be missed, but his sacrifice will be worth it to me. And that's all any sacrificer can hope for. (Applause.)

Another thing that's interesting that's happening, is we're doing stuff with the ballistic missile interceptor. It's in a silo called Alaska, where they grow the oil that is right now being threatened by wildlife pollution. Wild lives is not natural. It is a bunch of lives running roughshod. We know how dangerous that is to the precious freedoms of our oil. Anything with a hoof on it or six legs maybe or a pretzel, it's just threatening the security of our country.

But a missile defense system could feed the whole country, make kids into betterful readers, and find a job for everybody who wants a job. (Applause.) That's kind of its potential. And another thing about a ballistic missile, you can fire it at stuff to shoot it down. (Applause.)

I think those who oppose this ballistic missile system really don't understand the real threats to the security of this country even as Dick and I are standing here. Those oppositioners are living in the past with a lot of French people. We're living in the future where there are only ticket holders that have signed the loyalty oath. That's freedom. The freedom to have some elbow room as you write a check as big as you please. Try it now. Big Fish will collect them, won't you Big Fish? (Applause.)

Next I want to thank the workers of America who helped us overcome the Clinton recession that had 22 million jobs threatening the security of this country. That's what you call a glut on the market, when you have a whole lot of jobs clogging up the economic system. Gluts and clogs, that's not what you want in your system, is it Dick? We flushed the economic system. We stripped it, oiled it, made it leaner and meaner. Now we've got farmers and ranchers somewhere out there -- I saw one once -- and a mighty herd of other people who are free to roam this great land of ours fending for themselves. That's what Americans do. We fend. (Applause.)

And when you're fending, you don't want to be held back reading about how my opponent will close corporate tax loopholes. What if you're a loophole? Who's going to look out for you? Not some loophole closer.

My opponent wants to take my tax cuts for the rich and turn the money into tax credits for regular folks without increasing the deficit. Now hold on. This is America. You can't just take somebody's tax cut. You have to inherit your own tax cut. That's the American dream. (Applause.) And you can't have a deficit if you aren't willing to add to it. That's just simple accountability. That's stepping up to the treasury plate and taking ownership. Do you all own something? Well, you should try it.

Some of you think we don't hear your cries. Not true. We hear them just fine. (Applause.) We know if you have a child in your family that is a special challenge. Childs have needs, we know that. Good luck with that. (Applause.)

We helped a small business once. Remember that one in Ohio? I hear it has gone all the way to China now. That's called progress. (Applause.)

I understand there's still people looking for work here in America. So long as anybody wants to work and can't find a job, I know we've got more work to do in Washington, D.C. So that's me and a couple of number crunchers covered, and that should free up every man, woman and children to go out and look for work, too. Let me know how you make out. The rich hires accountants and lawyers, by the way. I'm just saying. Look, it shouldn't be that hard for millions of you to find one little job.

I'll be making sure taxes are low. And if your income is low or you don't have an income, don't worry, you can have high taxes instead. That's balance, and it comes with checks. You balance a check to the rich empowering the middle to give them good economic growth and maybe the rich will have someone on their staff create a job for you. (Applause.)

Be responsible for something. A responsibility society is one in which every CEO in corporate America understands he, she, or us is responsible for sharing the good news at shareholders and the bad news on top of employees.

You know, there's been a lot of talk about Medicare. Sick people don't want talk. It's bothering when you're trying to recover. They want protection from cheap foreign drugs that threaten the security of this country. They want to put their unpaid overtime into a health savings account. They want medical liability reform. Because people too poor to see a doctor get caught up in survival schemes, start thinking maybe they can sue a doctor some day for what's called malpractice of the possibility. It's a medical fact. Imagine if 44 million people suddenly got their hands on health care and felt staminafied enough to file a lawsuit?

Whereas when you're sick and you don't have a job you just stay in bed watching Court TV. And that's protected under the Constitution. But if you're all raring to go and lawyered up, who would be left to provide personal legal counsel for me and Dick? Who would help the rich prevent injury by taxation? Who's going to keep the legal system free and clear for celebrities and folks who might maybe have killed a spouse or two?

I want to thank our news posse for getting out those important legal briefs to the public, while respecting our privacy in Abu Grub. Go Rib. Gray -- the point is celebrities threaten the security of our country, and we need to monitor that.

And thank you for treating me and my opponent equal. Like when you treat a hard-hitting ad that gives facts the same as one with a pack of lies. Sure do 'preciate it, Wheezer. You too, Fluffy. (Applause.) Wheezer and Fluffy, everybody. (Applause.)

Or like when I went to Portland, Oregon, and we herded 2,300 pre-selected folks into a high school gym and my opponent just let 50,000 people wander out in the open -- "common ground" the liberals call it -- the reportificators kept things fair and balanced by saying we both "attracted crowds." A crowd is wherever two or more voters is gathered in my name, only I was careful to have fewer threats to the security of our country. I am the best candidate on security matters, but only if security protects me from the American people. (Applause.)

We've done a lot of hard work, but there's more to do to protect this country from the threats of the 21st century. The 21st century is probably the biggest threat there is, unless we stop it. That's why you've got to get Michigan and Pennsylvania and Ohio on a footing with Afghanistan and Iraq. Because a pre-emptive conservative democracy can be a great leveler. And we want everybody to feel that leveling. Then all you have left is the winds of peace blowing through and nobody's going to get ornery. Orneriness is the number one threat to the security of this country.

We want to replace being ornery with compassion. You can have compassion even if you are in prison, or out of work, or just some little kid out on the street heading for school because your mom is an evildoer who wants a job and your dad is a known voter, which in Florida is a felony. We need to bring that family together. And then you can take compassion and shove it into some sort of volunteer activity and pretty soon everybody is a volunteer, even in the workplace.

That's why when I travel this great country of mine telling you about its many threats, I want you to round up everybody who needs compassion. Because launching the compassion agenda comes right after finding weapons of mass destruction. Which a poll says we did, kinda. Poll says weapons of mass destruction now exist in the belief systems of our favorite voters. They're in our hearts, our minds.

Plus I will find out what happened to $8.8 billion in Iraqi funds that we gave to folks over there, including some to Halliburton, that nobody can rightly account for. Dick, have you seen it? No? Good enough. Now let's get out there and kick some major compassion. God bless America. And God bless the fear of threats to the security of this country -- without that, we're nothing.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Editor's note: Be George Bush's speechwriter! Write your version of the president's speech accepting the Republican nomination and win a year of Salon Premium and your choice of either of Salon's acclaimed community sites, The WELL or Salon Table Talk. Details at Salon.

http://www.salon.com/tech/col/mcgreevy/200...ech//index.html

post-91-1093587946.jpg

Plus I will find out what happened to $8.8 billion in Iraqi funds that we gave to folks over there, including some to Halliburton, that nobody can rightly account for. Dick, have you seen it? No? Good enough. Now let's get out there and kick some major compassion. God bless America. And God bless the fear of threats to the security of this country -- without that, we're nothing.

:rotfl: :rofl: :rotfl: :rofl: :rotfl:

God bless America. And God bless the fear of threats to the security of this country -- without that, we're nothing.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

And God bless those Swifties. Damn, those boys are fine liars and patriots.. They got the script just right. America needs more men like that and I'm going to find them!

World Wants Bush Out of the White House: Poll

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The world wants President Bush out of the White House, according to a poll released on Wednesday that shows in 30 of 35 countries people preferred Democrat candidate John Kerry.

Kerry was particularly favored in traditionally strong U.S. allies and beat Bush on average by more than a two-to-one margin, 46 percent to 20 percent, the survey by GlobeScan Inc, a global research firm, and the University of Maryland, said.

The survey of attitudes around the world contrasts with U.S. polls that have shown the American electorate closely divided and that Bush has been gaining momentum since the Republican convention this month.

Read entire story here.

I'm at school right now and responding to this when I should be using Visual Basic. :bigsmile:

The way polls have been showing lately, and the recent upbeat Republican attitude rejuvination from the convention, makes me wonder if Kerry has a snow balls' chance in hell of taking this election. Even as I type that, I have trouble stomaching my own words.

I blame the press. They spend all their time focusing on liars from Viet Nam instead of the campaign and its issues. Who could vote for a man whose lost millions of jobs, gone from a surplus to the biggest deficit in history, and playing switch and bait and using fear tactics with the general public when it comes to terrorist issues

Bush family follies: Bombshell book rips clan for sex, drugs

By Rosemary Herbert

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Laura Bush was a college co-ed who dealt the dope and smoked it. Her hubby, George W., hired some meatheads to threaten a former flame hoping to sell her sordid story. And the elder Bush, when vice president, hired an uneducated woman he shared the sheets with to be his assistant.

There are more hot allegations revealed in celeb biographer Kitty Kelley'sbook about the Bush clan, ``The Family: The Real Story of the Bush Dynasty'', released today.

http://news.bostonherald.com:80/election/v...articleid=44131

:lol::o:lol::o

That one sounds pretty sleazy, as befitting Kitty Kelly, but really, you can say anything about the Compassionate Conservative and it'll slide right off....his base is that unquestioning and has an incredible ability to avoid anything, whether it be factual or not, which doesn't fit into the narrow views he and they share. It's an extremely exploitable and dangerous situation which the Republican hawks are making the most of...but more and more people are becoming wary of that power base. It may not be dismantled in this election, but it will splinter off into factions eventually...