What's BeatKing all about then??

Umma

ok. and what should they be, mr. jip. again, criticism is good--speak up :)

(ps i have a mtg soon. mr jip as the mod in the house, you can mod the discussion in the meantime)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure that many people here share my tastes in music (but i could be wrong), so I would worry that my threads may die

Wingnut I think you should post your stuff ... until you do ... how do you know who will like it and who wont?

fyi, in the new layout, general fun news and politics will have its own section... the main problem is that it is all merged, so everyone sees everything, instead of the focus we all want to achieve

and dont worry, kooper, no one was criticizing you... everythings cool

what they should be

music: 50%

entert: 20%

games: 10%

political: 10%.. if anything..as nt many peeps are either not interest, can just go to another more dedicated forum

tech: 10%... isnt this whats zeropaid more orientated to do

on the last 10 percent, we want to supply

music listeners with the tools to do it.

ken and some others want to do this--

i think we should support their efforts

we plan to add home ent gadgets

and other useful stuff too

sorry--off to a mtg--keep going,

as good stuff will come out of it

and mr jip, the percentages you

suggest are right..

how manyarticles should be

posted per day?

how many articles should be posted per day?

<_>

you want an exact figure....?

things need to be prioritised....by the members in terms of what news makes the front page and what is submitted and what isnt...

Hey, I don't mind criticism because nobody can criticise or editorially monitor what I put on the board any harder than I do. I'd love to post more music stories or even better, see other people post lots more varied music stories than what we already have. I think if they were viewed apart from everything else some would be surprised at the total we already have posted. But I would encourage members to RESPOND to posts more often...nothing is more deflating than posting a nifty music article and see it die on the vine without comment. It may have a healthy number of hits but it's not drawing posted response...that's one thing we could definitely improve on.

Also Umma, there is a presidential election coming up. That's going to be big news just about everywhere. A lot of the political news will die down once that's over.

Heaven help us....

I have to agree with LOTD's definitions of what the #'s should be. As you must see in the mod section Mr.Jip, we've been banging our heads over this very thing for awhile.

Maybe we should have asked for member input sooner.

My suggestion for political threads has been to keep ongoing threads for particular subjects.

Politics

ie. - All of the stories about Bush in one thread, all the stories about Kerry in another, all the stories about terrorism in another, and so on. We would probably end up with about 6-7 political threads. They would probably receive a lot of posts, but the sheer number of political threads would be lower.

What do people think about that?

P2P

These really aren't taking up that much of the forum. Maybe to cut down on it, we could ask Ken if he would mind doing like a daily or weekly update.

ie. - All p2p releases in a single thread. Maybe add on the next day until the week is over, then start a new thread the next week.

Digital

No real clue how to go about this one. Suggestions would be grand.

I suppose it could also go with the daily update idea.

Entertainment

Mostly movies I take it? I consider a story about the lead singer of Band X getting arrested for carrying 2 tonnes of pot across the border music news. In my definition then, Entertainment news is about celebrities and movies.

Again, no real clue what to do with it.

-------------------

These are all ideas. I don't have the right or inclination to change to this just because I think it would work. What do other people think?

Should we go with this for Politics, P2P, & Digital? What would we do with Entertainment? Just leave it for now and see how these ideas work?

------------------

BTW jipster, I totally agree about doing our own news. That's where I want to go too. Are you interested in starting this? I'll be a few days behind. Others will join in too.

What format? Like slashdot? Or use a variety of sources to come up with the nugget of news about a particular subject in the middle?

But I would encourage members to RESPOND to posts more often...nothing is more deflating than posting a nifty music article and see it die on the vine without comment. It may have a healthy number of hits but it's not drawing posted response...that's one thing we could definitely improve on.

Yep.... and I think more people would respond if the articles were being written by the people posting them moreso than stuff being pasted.... but you have to be patient... response may never come but that doesnt mean the thread holds no value. If it's getting hits, then there's interest but lets face it.... not all of us are great at typing/spelling or whatever.... and some are even quite shy :wub: so responses may take time...

What format? Like slashdot? Or use a variety of sources to come up with the nugget of news about a particular subject in the middle?

exactly, reading further into news topics and giving our own opinions with it, i cant remeber atm but of the the BK memebers gives his own opinion to news thing at the end of an article. Things like this start debates rather than just c&p'ing a page or so of political jargon..

do we need a p2p thread, i mean its mainly stuff of zeropaid...

entertainment, thats all the other media crap, thats needed but agian maybe not c&p'ing stuff, maybe we can give a paragraph of whats going on.

ok I'm finished reading all the posts... :blink:

jip, umma I'm not trying to attack you guys but this is my opinion.

You are right about the news written by yourself but you don't have to wait for the others to do stuff. I try to post only music news and new releases. Most of those releases reviews are written by me even though it's kind of hard to do that since english is not my language. I also try to post a lot of suggestions written by me. I agree that the copy-paste system sucks but YOU have to try to post some self written reviews too. Dude and I try our best to do that. Just read all the suggestions we have written. Shawn is very busy, koop explained 1000 times that he is not a music expert and raibow the same. How about we see a little effort from the rest of you?

We are all in this together people...

peace.

btw I agree that a lot sections should be dropped and try to keep our main focus on music but this a mod forum discussion even though we are having discussions about it in there already

not to mention the...mod section!
you could have said your opinion in there already man. I've started about 3 different topics on that matter. Talking about this here doesn't look good.

you could have said your opinion in there already man. I've started about 3 different topics on that matter. Talking about this here doesn't look good.

Nah, I have no problem with it being here...viva la difference! Our difference is openness and being up front...no agendas or subterranean plots. I think it can serve to energize the members who are passionate about the site...and spur the members who aren't. Feedback be good.

Re: Jips Percentages - Agreed

Re: LOTD's overview - Agreed

Re: Shawn's post

1) Political Ideas - I like the String idea for particular topics - Agreed

2) P2Ps - Disagree

There is a lot of focus here for the time being because

Ken is taking the time to fill it up. I see no reason to curtail his

efforts...

Maybe we should figure out a way to put similar types

of clients (gnutella,etc) and string them on the same thread.

Ken is developing this forum, I say give him the lattitude, and

whatever suggestions you have. Again, this section can be

segmented off, and its currently not on the front page, so

Im unclear about the criticism.

I believe this should be part of a forum discusses using technology

for the home, primarily for music, but it should touch on other forms of home ent that will be useful for the membership. 5 years from now we are all going to have home

entertainment centers and we should be ahead of the curve.

Digital News- Disagree; not sure what the criticism is -

According to our boards, this is the third or 4th most

popular item on the site. I try to find the best articles that are

file sharing, music, computers and home entertainment. We have

moved them off of the front page--what is it that people dont like

about them?

Entertainment News - Ok, we need clarity here.

I think this section should be about breaking news about about movies, video games...

events, and personalities that in the news. Its also the second or third most popular

looked at thing on the site. Do we need a narrower focus? In the new page,

these stores will be segmented off... What is it that people dont like?

Man that was a lot to read, my thoughts:

I was invited here by Dudeasincool a few months ago and have enjoyed what little time I've spent here. I love the different topics/forums but welcome any new changes. The news is great I read more here than going to some of the news sites I frequently visited. Another thing I enjoy is the fact we can have political discussions and post our beliefs without any flaming and immature responses. I think that there are some great people here and look forward to the future. Peace

Thanx for the compliments--we like those too I think this site suits a lot of different people's interest--which vary. I think the new redesign will help and make it easier to naviagate, and for people that have specific interests, they wont have to wade through things they might not want to see...

We're glad to have you aboard MXRob...

And for those of you who have just dropped by, free free to post your comments. This is a community website and your input is valuable...

I just noticed that we had 715 hits on Nora Jones New Album review under New Releases - someone's reading them. It should be a priority to keep New Releases up to date...

Guest .::BeatFactory::.

How do you people feel about adding a biography section where MEMBERS WRITE BIO's instead of maybe just C & P'ing...

Pick an artist you like, write something up, people will respond! :D

It's just an idea, any comments are needed!

And about everything else that has been mentioned so far... I reckon things will change soon once we can get our new index page fixed up... be patient and I GUARANTEE you that you will not be dissatisfied! It's a 200% Money Back Guarantee... whatever you paid to join us... I will refund you double! :D

.... have enjoyed what little time I've spent here. I love the different topics/forums but welcome any new changes. The news is great I read more here than going to some of the news sites I frequently visited. Another thing I enjoy is the fact we can have political discussions and post our beliefs without any flaming and immature responses. I think that there are some great people here and look forward to the future. Peace

… i second MxRob … i like the music news posted here … current, informative … would be nice if it could be used as a springboard for further discussion, maybe with the poster of the news offering commentary or opinions in another post, but i have enjoyed the news posted … and the people here are second to none ... :)

… and Wingnut, like Uma said, please post the music you’re into … whether it is something we may like or not … i can’t say how many times i have gotten music i never would have even thought of getting, if it hadn’t been for someone posting it, because they liked it … broadened my horizons, musically speaking … so much of the music i have is music i never knew existed, but because of others sharing with me their likes, i’ve found that me likes, too … me $0.02 ... :P