What's BeatKing all about then??

Umma

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, thats the direction... So, Umma, are you going to fill up the world and folk forums with tantalizing aritcles, mp3s and info :D

PS--we are adding 40-60 articles a day about music and gen ent. Do you realize thats more than the NYTimes, Yahoo, Salon and ZP all put together?

Are mp3's allowed? I'd be happy to upload a few samples of stuff if I know that it isnt going to cause any copyright problems....

/me needs advice on that one

method can you define what a sample should be please?

Should it be under a certain time or minimum bitrate or what??

How about an area or forum for downloads only? We would just have to be careful about the content such allowing only Indie stuff etc.

My only concern is space.

Figuring 4-7 mb/song, we could only host a limited number. Links to tunes definitely preferred I think.

However, if this seems like the sort of thing that everyone thinks is a good plan we could try getting more hosting space.

I think rather than have a downloads section (though that would be nice) any files uploaded should pertain to a topic posted. Maybe that would help limit the space used for downloadables. AND if you could specify some rules for samples.. ie. file size/length etc.. it would also help as a guideline for anyone wanting to upload.

Unless you want the site to become a music download server, with all the copyright problems it would draw, I think you need to set some rules on this. Music downloads arent that hard to come by elsewhere so apart from samples, is it really a necessity to have here??

'Use your own judgement' probably isnt the ideal guideline.

I think links might be the answer in the meantime. I posted one to a Johnny Lang site last night... There appears to be enough free samples around that we can get started...

• 2 weeks later...

I like this forum so far. I visit and post in the various news sections a lot while popping in on the Kickin' It and Tech Talk sections every now and then too.

I tend to stay away from the 'Politics' subcategory of the Gen. Discussion section. I never was into talking about politics much.

I tend to view music/digital news forums in a couple of ways. There are those who are quite "clean" as in this one and Zeropaid. They are clean in the sense that they don't have members posting links to music on the net.

And then there are forums like the FullDelivery forum (used to be mp3delivery) that encourages it's members to post links to music in it's own section. Music links on FD are strictly 'members only', so people who visit the forum, but don't sign it cannot see the some categories on the forum.

FD is hosted and based in the UK, so they have different copyright laws than in the US. Though the forum doesn't actually host any music itself, apparently linking to music is not violating copyright laws in the UK.

And then there are forums like the FullDelivery forum (used to be mp3delivery) that encourages it's members to post links to music in it's own section. Music links on FD are strictly 'members only', so people who visit the forum, but don't sign it cannot see the some categories on the forum. FD is hosted and based in the UK, so they have different copyright laws than in the US. Though the forum doesn't actually host any music itself, apparently linking to music is not violating copyright laws in the UK.

We need more music links here--there are plenty available on the web offered by the recording industry and artists that pose no copyright problems. Feel free to post some good stuff in the recommended music section

Shawn:

All of the stories about Bush in one thread, all the stories about Kerry in another, all the stories about terrorism in another, and so on. We would probably end up with about 6-7 political threads. They would probably receive a lot of posts, but the sheer number of political threads would be lower.

method77:

'Ive started about 3 different topics on that matter

& that's my biggest complaint and might be deterring people from discussion. y'know, every time there's an update on something (whatever the subject) it's got a new topic all to itself instead of continuing on w/the original story or whatever. (my .02 eurocents) :P