What's BeatKing all about then??

Umma

I've been watching things develop here and it seems to me that for a forum that has a title which would point towards a musical orientation, it seems to be predominantly spammed with pasted news and pastey politics.

Meantime the music forums are being blanketed out and underdeveloped.

So what is BeatKing really about?? Is it going to be a news based site in competition with other forums to see who can post the most news items or is it all for the love of music?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most popular articles are Music and Entertainment News, followed by Digital News and then the Kickin it section, which is devoted to fun and games. We are currently in the process of redesigning the front page, so that the articles will be prioritized towards music and entertainment. Notice all the front page articles are now about music. In the near future, there will be buttons at the top which emphasize the music forums. But until we do the front page makeover, all the articles seem to blend in a hodgepodge...and there is nothing we can do about that until we do the changes there.

As you can see, Ken is busy filling up the filesharing forums, and we hope to devote more time to technical gadgetry, music resources, etc. BeatFactory and Yoda are starting to fill up the lyrics section...

We are only a few months old--the electronic, 60s and 70s, world, metal and alternative are starting to fill up. We're dependent on the community to do this. It takes awhile. But with limited resources--and time--and we all have other jobs--what would you suggest?

Anyway, thats the direction... So, Umma, are you going to fill up the world and folk forums with tantalizing aritcles, mp3s and info :D

PS--we are adding 40-60 articles a day about music and gen ent. Do you realize thats more than the NYTimes, Yahoo, Salon and ZP all put together?

Honestly, I think that a good user base is necessary to talk about music. I am not sure that many people here share my tastes in music (but i could be wrong), so I would worry that my threads may die :(... I am just a n00b here though; I am not sure what it is going for yet.

Anyways, I am just a forum troll.

I think BK is and always will be a music site. It has the most in quanity in addition to the most variety of muscial genre forums I've ever seen. We live, however, in a political world. Music doesn't change as much as politics and people's interpretations of politics are varied. As long as people are placing the news in the appropriate threads, I don't see any harm done. I believe this was why the Music News thread was created. If the main page of this site needs to be more music focused, then it's just a matter of modding the settings to determine what is displayed. I know this has been thrown around in the past and even now is being discussed for change.

Basically, we keep the non-music in non-music threads. If the news is boring, either do not read it or provide some new sources that would make you content. We have some very politically-minded people here, but at our hearts, we're here for the love of music. Basically all topics are allowed. The fact that we don't flame each other or have out-of-control mods is what makes this place run smoothly.

I will agree that the news posting seems to be out of hand. It almost appears as if people are trying to one-up each other. This would be my chosen reason for leaving if it came down to it. I do not post for the sake of post count and I attempt to provide news that is both relevant and aesthetically pleasing to the mind. Perhaps some changes are in order.

I'm sure the veterans will let us know what those may be, if any.

:ph34r:

Edit - I see that much was said during my preparation. Please excuse anything that may have been answered.

so music is the main theme then??

maybe it's just the current threads that make things seem completely biased towards news. politics, and outdoing other places.... if the stats add up to music being predominant....then who can argue :shut up:

I challenge Miss Umma to find enough music material every day to keep a forum going. Good luck

why be like that kooperman

this is a music forum and therefore it should only have stuff relating to music and maybe entertainment, besides its not like we need to post so much everyday. Fs, as of late ive posted less and less because of the type of stuff that has been posted

I think if you do a count, music and ent news are the most posts.

We welcome people to write their own stuff, and we already have

a place in mind for it on the front page.

Another issue is this--we dont want to curtail people from posting

articles--so while we agree there is too much, we dont want to

be dictatorial about asking them to refrain. Any suggestions on

how we handle it..

And of the articles that are being posted, what do you think is

out of place, or filler?

why be like that kooperman

this is a music forum and therefore it should only have stuff relating to music and maybe entertainment, besides its not like we need to post so much everyday. Fs, as of late ive posted less and less because of the type of stuff that has been posted

What kind of logic is that, Jipster? You want more music posted, so you quit posting music stuff. I don't follow that...

I challenge Miss Umma to find enough music material every day to keep a forum going. Good luck.

Challenging isnt what this is about Koop... in fact that competitive spirit is part of the problem I think..... you dont build anything up by trying to outdo the other guy.

I challenge Miss Umma to find enough music material every day to keep a forum going. Good luck.

I think he has a point. For all the types of music involved, you need to be on top of the scene...ALL scenes. One person cannot do it. Sometimes it's good to mix it up a little. Nearly all forums have a news thread. We just tend to post a lot of it. But we are also on top of any musical news as it breaks. This is the premier site to go to for music, entertainment and general news.

Criticism is good Mr. Jip and Im glad youre speaking up (which you could have done in the mod forums :duck hunt: :duck hunt: just kidding. You're not the only one that feels like there is too much being posted... Im presssing on the site design, but that takes time.

What do you like?

What dont you like?

How can we make the site better?

Challenging isnt what this is about Koop... in fact that competitive spirit is part of the problem I think..... you dont build anything up by trying to outdo the other guy.

Umma, I'm not trying to outdo anybody here...but i'm sitting here when the board is dry and many members are on IM....12 members are listed and I'm the only person answering posts or posting new stuff or greeting new members....so if that's trying to outdo someone, then I guess I am. I know everybody has other stuff to do, just as I do, but I've been trying to help this fledgling site to build up to the point where it doesn't need a core group to be here in order to survive. It's getting close, but it's not there yet.

And it is a challenge finding music items...I look hours every day. I'm not versed in newer music so I'm at a great disadvantage there. Why don't you try to chip in and help? It would be most welcome.

to be honest everytime i check the new posts its either crap on bush or online games...music has taken a second seat to other un music related articles

I think a possible answer would be not to check new posts. It seems this search function is not for everyone. Just go to the threads you have interests in. No site is perfect. I think BK does it's best to please everyone. Much of the excitement isn't over what C. Love is doing lately (got old FAST!) but rather within the political, general and non-music threads. You can only talk about an artist so long and not everyone enjoys the same artists.

One of the issues is that the main board takes everything...rather than allowing us to post certain things directly in the forums

In terms of percentages, Mr Jip, how would

you prioritize the postings.

Music News/Releases x

Ent x

Tech/Digital Support x

Fun and Games x

are you saying thats the numbers we should shoot for, or that that is what it is now, mr jip

by the way, input is good--we--THAT MEANS ALL OF US--want to get it right

ps--i have the most posts, but i find the number embarrassing. alot of those

posts are in the mods section about subjects like this, or im trying to fill

up forums, or respond to threads people have started to keep their interest

here. i have a career, i dont need posts :D

Umma, I'm not trying to outdo anybody here...but i'm sitting here when the board is dry and many members are on IM....12 members are listed and I'm the only person answering posts or posting new stuff or greeting new members....so if that's trying to outdo someone, then I guess I am. I know everybody has other stuff to do, just as I do, but I've been trying to help this fledgling site to build up to the point where it doesn't need a core group to be here in order to survive. It's getting close, but it's not there yet.

And it is a challenge finding music items...I look hours every day. I'm not versed in newer music so I'm at a great disadvantage there. Why don't you try to chip in and help? It would be most welcome.

and a fine job you're doing Koop.... nobody is criticising you!