Dress-Up Jesus Figure Sparks Controversy

Kooperman

Dress-Up Jesus Figure Sparks Controversy

Game Sold At Urban Outfitters Stores

POSTED: 2:37 pm CST March 16, 2004

UPDATED: 4:18 pm CST March 17, 2004

KING OF PRUSSIA, Pa. -- Some people are outraged over a sacred symbol that is being sold for laughs.

The novelty item gives buyers the chance to dress up Jesus in different outfits.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slideshow: See The Controversial Toy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I did a double take. It just seemed unbelievable to see something like that," said Gerry, a man who didn't want to use his last name.

From a distance, the item looks like a kid's dress-up game. But when you look closely, it is a magnetic Jesus dress-up figure.

"I basically stood there speechless," Gerry said.

Gerry stumbled upon the dress-up Jesus at an Urban Outfitters store at the King Of Prussia Mall.

He said he was shocked by the magnetic game showing Jesus on the cross, clad in underwear with interchangeable outfits like a devil costume, a skull T-shirt and a hula skirt.

Gerry said he e-mailed Urban Outfitters to complain that the item was in horrible taste.

In an e-mail response to Gerry, the company said it doesn't sell the dress-up Jesus to provoke or offend people, but rather sells it to reflect a diversity of opinion among its customer base.

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/2926552/detail.html

post-86-1079569137_thumb.jpg

Oh.... it's Jesus actually on the cross?!?... That is pretty daring...not sure how I feel about that one... What's also daring--> they have a tutu yet no leotard... how could they do such a thing!

I actually saw and "played" with the jesusdressup.com site a couple years ago. I find it pretty entertaining. I think it would be just as good if Jay-Z or Dick Cheney were on there. About the furthest I would go though for playing dress up. I respect the store's response to that narrow-minded customer.

To him I say :poop:

This is just sad. Whatever happened to good ole fashion respect for each other's beliefs and opinions. I guess it's gone down the drain. Oh well, I can't say I am all that surprised, and I am not saying that everyone is like this. Everyone has a voice but why is what the man said narrow minded? He is just expressing how he feels just as you can do. I have no problem talking to someone about their own personal beliefs so I guess I just don't see it.

This is just sad. Whatever happened to good ole fashion respect for each other's beliefs and opinions. I guess it's gone down the drain. Oh well, I can't say I am all that surprised, and I am not saying that everyone is like this. Everyone has a voice but why is what the man said narrow minded? He is just expressing how he feels just as you can do. I have no problem talking to someone about their own personal beliefs so I guess I just don't see it.

I actually agree with you.

Just as I don't care for the ultra-right wing of Christianity pushing their wares down my throat, I don't see the value of mocking an entire rligion.

Well it seems the news story has been removed. I wonder why that happened?

Here is a video news clip regarding the issue.

link

Here is a working link on the story:

link

This "Gerry" individual did more than express how he felt. He took it to the news and filed a complaint. The store provided a neutral response that shouldn't provoke any debate.

The issue here is that this individual does not agree with this item that disturbs his belief. He does not have an acceptance of other religions or non-religions. Only his religion and what he feels. And he knew it would spark a debate. This was far beyond just expressing an opinion.

As far as mocking a religion, what "entire" religion does Jesus represent? I thought he stood for or represented several. That's actually saying a lot. There is nothing "ultra " about this. It was taken out of control by an individual who couldn't keep his conservative views in check.

I think the dress-up thing was in very poor taste, done specifically to offend. But people are so afraid of religion and the strong reactions that it engenders, they invariably overreact...just as the Dallas station did in removing the story and just as the entire country did over Mel Gibson's movie.

Lol, the satan thing is in poor taste too if you live in fear of a vengeful God striking you down if you laugh at the wrong things. The creator of these toys obviously doesn't, but he also doesn't seem to realize most people do, and they'll be pissed.

I don't like either one of those.