Artists & Selling Out

DudeAsInCool

There is an interesting discussion over at Stereogum over the issue of artists 'selling out'. In response to complaints regarding an Outback commercial using one of Of Montreal's songs, Kevin Barnes wrote a brief on the subject matter to Stereogum readers, saying "Selling Out Isn't Impossible," and went on to suggest that fan complaints about the commercialization of his band's music only motivates him to do better work. In a separate article, posted by one of the Steregum readers, David Eggars, the author of the book, 'A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius," also takes a look at the issue.

So what determines 'selling out' to you?...and how does it affect what you listen to?

Let's see. I think Liz Phair sold out entirely when she started looking like every other female pop artist out there.

Despite being a fan of the Flaming Lips, yea, they sold out a little when they let VH1 and Mitsubishi use "Do you realize" in commercials.

Those are the more annoying ones that come to mind anyways.

Due to the fact that I watch TV more than listen to radio, I don't mind smaller bands getting their shit into commercials... as I'm too lazy to look for it in other ways.

Actually... it's probably I listen to more TV than radio... as when I am watching, I'm watching movies, or recently, shit that I have saved on the DVR.