Setting up your own music server

Umma

home puter...

here's how I understand it..... in simple terms...

1) you need music :blink:

2) you need a way to catalogue your music... probably in a database of some sort

3) you need a web server and PHP, perl, MySQL etc etc.... whatever

4) you need a front end of some sort to make it all accessible from the internet

or something like that???

I think shoutcast is for streaming media?? which isnt what I meant but I wouldnt mind knowing how to do that too

thanks... :)

ok maybe 'server' is misleading.......

I want a private searchable database thingy that has some sort of access control ... I'm probably looking for a PHP front end... but as I havent done it afore I dont know what I mean :wacko:

FTP is fine and functional.... but when you have a large list of files spread over numerous partitions it can be a little iffy to navigate using ftp....

I know there's other options out there for doing this kinda stuff .... and I want one !

ftp is easy.... but I want flashing lights and buttons

Netjuke works pretty well, providing a searchable database of music you store in a designated folder... that wasnt really what I wanted but miracles arent always forthcoming. It even streams stuff too if you have a fast enough connection to allow that to happen.

The only drawback is that it's not altogether straight forward to set up unless you already have PHP and MySQL installed and are running a web server on your computer. If you have a lot of music that could be easier to handle in a database with web access... then Netjuke is the program you want. It does a great job.

Now all I need is a bigger hard drive and a fast connection :wacko:

Well do you have to be online for people to download off of you. Im kinda lookin into getting this going.

But if the RIAA knows about this why dont they shut it down? Intresting

Well yes TBG... your computer has to be switched on and connected for anybody to be able to access anything on your computer!!

You want bigger miracles than I do !

(you dont have to sit there watching it though)