I tried the viral DRx SpectraLite FaceWare Pro mask and it reduced my hormonal acne

NelsonG

woman wearing gold and white LED face mask

It’s no secret that red light therapy is skincare’s current It Girl. A peek at social media — or at your favorite skincare studio — and you’ll see celebrities, influencers, and your friend from college splurging on various red light therapy treatments to transform their skin. Fans of red light therapy promote it as a way to boost collagen production, improve your overall complexion, and even diminish wrinkles, sun damage, and acne scarring. Even better? More and more brands are releasing at-home red light therapy devices, which means you can receive professional quality skincare while sitting on your couch. But do they actually work? And are they worth the investment? 

I decided to put it to the test with the viral DRx SpectraLite FaceWare Pro from the popular skincare brand, Dr. Dennis Gross. Used by celebrities like Lucy Hale, Halle Berry, Jimmy Fallon, and more, the $455 LED red light therapy mask is definitely a splurge. 

Unfortunately? I kinda love it.

What is red light LED therapy? How does it work?

If you’re not familiar with it, red light therapy involves using low-wavelength red light to improve your skin. You might be skeptical, but there’s actually some science to back this up. In fact, some studies demonstrate that red light therapy can increase collagen production and reduce signs of aging. So how does it work? 

“LED light therapy utilizes a variety of wavelengths, which appear as different colors, to treat the dermis at varying depths and intensities depending on the skin concern being addressed,” explains Dr. Kate Jameson, who is the medical director and founder of Youth Lab aesthetic clinics. “Red light therapy treats the outer layer of your skin by stimulating collagen production, elastin production, and blood flow. While red light therapy is perfect for brightening and plumping the skin before a special event, regular treatments will also reduce the appearance of fine lines, skin laxity, and scarring.” 

plastic face mask with small LED light panels all over
The inside of the mask has a bunch of little LED panels that produce red and blue light. Credit: Jandra Sutton / Mashable

However, Dr. Jameson points out, the at-home red light therapy masks are typically less powerful than the ones found at your dermatologist’s office, but they are generally considered safe to use if you purchase them from a reliable company.

“Light therapy is most effective when used consistently, so the convenience of having a device in your home is invaluable,” Dr. Jameson adds. “Safety is always first, so purchasing your device from a reputable company with the appropriate therapeutic goods approvals for your location is essential. Knock-off brands can look and feel similar, with an alluringly low price tag.”

First impressions of the DRx SpectraLite FaceWare Pro

I consider myself an “intermediate” when it comes to all things skincare. My daily routine is a little more complex than a newbie — I recently started double-cleansing, I have a few holy grail serums, and I dabble in the process of slugging (aka layering petroleum jelly over my nightly moisturizer to lock in moisture). However, I’m still a fan of convenience. Too many steps in my skincare routine and I’m certain to skip it, and makeup wipes are still my go-to for lazy days.  

But adding a red light therapy mask to my daily routine? I was definitely intrigued, especially since I’ve tried similar products — like the SolaWave red light therapy wand — with decent results. 

Right out of the box, I was excited to try the SpectraLite FaceWare Pro. Unlike other red light therapy masks that I’ve tried, the SpectraLite FaceWare Pro boasts three different light modes — red light for anti-aging, blue light for fighting action, and a combination of the two for dual results — which means you can choose your preference depending on your skin’s needs.

The device is made primarily of plastic, with a silicone-type inner coating covering the 162 LED lights spread throughout the inside of the mask. After charging the device with the included USB cable for the recommended two hours, I was ready to go. 

Using the SpectraLite FaceWare Pro is beyond effortless. Simply wash and dry your face — it’s recommended to use the mask prior to using any serums or skincare products — then slip the strap over your head and press and hold the button to turn on the mask. You can tap the button to cycle between modes — from red light to blue light, then again to the combination — and simply sit back, relax, and let the mask do its job for the next three minutes. I stuck with combination mode, mostly because I was battling some hormonal acne, and the mask turns itself off once your three-minute session is over.

Adding the mask to my skincare routine was easy

Unlike other skincare gadgets, the SpectraLite FaceWare Pro doesn’t really feel like anything. It’s not particularly soothing — there’s no heat, vibration, or anything like that — so you’re just sitting there for three minutes with very bright light on your face. However, I found that I really enjoyed using it every night. 

I preferred the combination red and blue light mode, and I usually spent my three-minute session either lying in bed or dancing in front of the mirror. I joked with my partner that when I closed my eyes, the brightness of the light makes it feel like I’m soaking up the summer sun on a beach somewhere. 

inside of face mask lit up a magenta color
The combination red and blue light is picture here. Credit: Jandra Sutton / Mashable

My biggest complaint was the strap that secures the mask to your head. It’s a silicone, adjustable strap that fits comfortably around your head, but it’s so slick that it loosens easily. I needed to adjust it every single night to make sure it didn’t fall off, which was annoying considering the price of the mask. 

Beyond that, I didn’t have any trouble using the mask. It lasted about 10 sessions before I needed to charge it again, and it comes with a protective storage bag. I will say that it takes up a good amount of space in your bathroom, but it’s up to you if that’s a problem or not. You also need to clean it after each use, which I forgot occasionally, but an alcohol wipe makes that quick and easy.

I noticed a major difference with my hormonal acne

After using the SpectraLite FaceWare Pro every day for a month, the biggest changes I noticed were in my hormonal acne. The day I received the mask, I was dealing with one of the worst hormonal acne breakouts of my life (convenient timing, I know). After three days of nightly use, the deep cystic acne finally started to shrink, and within a week, there was a slight, but noticeable reduction in redness and active breakouts. 

It’s now been a month and a half since I started using the mask, and my latest round of hormonal acne — which usually starts about a week before my period — was significantly less intense. I haven’t changed anything else in my skincare routine or my diet, so I’m absolutely crediting the SpectraLite FaceWare Pro with the results. 

Beyond that? I didn’t notice a change in my skin’s overall texture or appearance beyond a slight reduction in redness. I’d hoped that the mask would help with a few fine lines that have started to appear on my forehead, but I haven’t used it long enough to notice any significant changes. The company recommends sticking with the product for 10 weeks of daily use for wrinkle reduction, with acne results in as little as two weeks, which was definitely in line with my experience. 

Is it worth the splurge? 

As much as I loved the SpectraLite FaceWare Pro, I’m struggling with the price.

Obviously, I saw an immediate improvement with my hormonal acne, but when it comes to anti-aging, you have to commit to daily, long-term use to see a return on your investment. For someone who is already spending that much (or more) on red light therapy treatments, then it might be worth the hefty price tag. 

For beginners, I’d recommend starting with one of the more affordable options on the market. SolaWave offers both red light and blue light therapy wands, and they’re a lower-cost alternative that will let you play around with using at-home light therapy without quite as much of a splurge.

Once you know how your skin responds, however, it might be worth saving up for the SpectraLite FaceWare Pro. It’s convenient, easy to use, and — yes — bougie as hell. However, it’s also a great way to bring cutting-edge skincare technology into your home, so it might be worth a try. 

View the full article