Sally Fields Censored At Emmys Over Iraq Comments

According to the LA Times, the "producers of Sunday's Emmy telecast bleeped best drama actress winner Sally Field in the midst of a controversial acceptance speech attacking U.S. involvement in Iraq.

"If mothers ruled the world, there wouldn't be any god -" she said when the sound went dead and the camera suddenly turned away from the stage so viewers would be distracted. Chopped off were the words "god-damned wars in the first place." (The phrase was not censored in the Canadian telecast.)"

Read all about it HERE

post-9-1190049592_thumb.jpg

If mothers ruled the world, there wouldn't be any god-damned wars in the first place.

Didn't Indira Gandhi and Golda Meir kinda shoot holes in that theory?

Maybe they were only involved in wars because mothers didn't rule the entire world.

Then again, maybe Sally Fields is full of shit as usual.

I agree with LOTD. Give it back.

... and shutup.

Regardless of her politics, they shouldn't be censoring anything. She has the right to her opinion just as much as any of us do. I think everyone can agree that censorship is bad. I saw a pretty funny bumper sticker the other day. It said something to the effect of..."The media is only as liberal as the conservatives who own it." This kind of proves that point.

Chances are good that if Sally Field had said, "Bless George Bush as he continues kicking ass in order to make this world a better place", she wouldn't have been censored. She would, however, have watched her nose grow longer as the crowd pounded her with hoots and booing.

I will create a religion to Sally Field if even a micron of her words actually produces results. It's been tried collectively before. Everyone at the Emmys has an opinion. Even those in favor of Iraq. There's a time and place for everything.

Don't tarnish award shows that barely cut it these days and save your maternal martyrdom for your own family. I am so glad I have little interest in television awards.

I will create a religion to Sally Field if even a micron of her words actually produces results. It's been tried collectively before. Everyone at the Emmys has an opinion. Even those in favor of Iraq. There's a time and place for everything.

Don't tarnish award shows that barely cut it these days and save your maternal martyrdom for your own family. I am so glad I have little interest in television awards.

Nicely said.

DITTO

:thumbsup:

I'm not trying be start an argument here, LotD. I just want some more clarification. So you're saying It's alright to have an opinion either way, as long as you keep your opinions to yourself or your family? Don't speak your opinions in public? Where would someone like Sally F. be able to speak her opinions in a public manner for others to hear(if she really wanted to)? Crap, gotta run to work. Just thinking out loud here. ;)

Wow, I'm glad you actually wrote this instead of asking in person. Kinda hard to start an argument anyways if you have to run to work. But I appreciate your extreme need to respond in your pre-work haste.

Sally can blather her opinions all she wants. When she's invited to do so. If she is entitled to do so during an award show, then so is every single person who has a moment on the stage in front of the microphone. And if that were an actuality and every single person voiced their opinion on a topic during the awards show, you would no longer have a show. You'd have a rebuttal, documentary, debate, argument...whatever the hell you want to call it. Ultimately, it would be inifinitely more boring (whether they have a worthwhile argument or not) and defeating of the whole purpose of the show's existence. She is not "taking advantage" of an opportunity where all the other stars are either ignorant or unaware of. She basically considers her opinion above that of others and the show's premise. Matter of fact, I'm willing to bet when she got the invite, she immediately started writing her little speech, regardless of whether she would win or not.

So let's not subdue Sally entirely here. Sure she's entitled to her freedom of speech. That's why she can go write a book about how she feels. Or request a visit to The View, Oprah, Larry King Live, or some other program that actually wants to hear her random thoughts. I will be watching the Oscars next year. I know some idiot will detour off being thankful and throw out a bunch of his or her opinions. While I think Michael Moore is a great guy, bashing Bush (when he already did it in his movie) when he gets an award just makes him look stupid.

Quality live presentations are a rare occurrence these days. They are already extremely lengthy and don't hold the wow factor very long. I want to watch the program and reflect on why someone is being rewarded and possibly find enjoyment in doing so. Transposing subject matter in that situation for me is about as exciting as straying off topic in a thread. People decide to check out a thread based on what it's called. Reading through the thread flows smoothly when the contributors play along with the topic. But then you got that one person that throws the wrench in the gears. Sometimes the machine is strong enough to keep moving and ignore the little wrench. But if it's big enough, or enough wrenches are thrown, the machine will stop and it will be time to attend to the wrenchers.

Dammit, Sally Field, you make my fingers hurt.

Sally can blather her opinions all she wants. When she's invited to do so. If she is entitled to do so during an award show, then so is every single person who has a moment on the stage in front of the microphone. And if that were an actuality and every single person voiced their opinion on a topic during the awards show, you would no longer have a show. You'd have a rebuttal, documentary, debate, argument...whatever the hell you want to call it. Ultimately, it would be inifinitely more boring (whether they have a worthwhile argument or not) and defeating of the whole purpose of the show's existence. She is not "taking advantage" of an opportunity where all the other stars are either ignorant or unaware of. She basically considers her opinion above that of others and the show's premise. Matter of fact, I'm willing to bet when she got the invite, she immediately started writing her little speech, regardless of whether she would win or not.

LotD doesn't care about Black people.

Chances are good that if Sally Field had said, "Bless George Bush as he continues kicking ass in order to make this world a better place", she wouldn't have been censored. She would, however, have watched her nose grow longer as the crowd pounded her with hoots and booing.

:lol:

LotD doesn't care about Black people.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OK. Thanks for the answer, LotD. You answered my question, fully. I think I see your point more clearly now. Before, I thought you were implying she should pretty much just shut her trap when she leaves the house. Now I see it's just about the quality of the awards show. ;)

Damn it's hard to not sound serious and ornery on the internet. I'm not trying to be like that, LotD. :D