Best Harmonica Songs Ever Written

DudeAsInCool

A member at Ask Metafilter recently posted the question, "What are the best harmonica songs ever written/performed and where can I find them?" and got a pretty wide sampling of answers:

I couldn't name a particular Little Walter song, but he was cream of the crop. Kim Wilson did a pretty good Little Walter impersonation on the early Fabulous Thunderbirds albums, too. Or try James cotton. Sorry, no individual songs, but you could pick for yourself from the above and be doing well. Or maybe it's just me, but I think the harmonica reached its apogee in American Blues. - Devils Rancher -

In terms of sheer proficiency, I don't think anyone can top John Popper, of Blues Traveler. Their one really big hit, "Run Around", shows a little of his absolutely amazing ability. - kingjoeshmoe

This might not be exactly what you're looking for, but recently I had the pleasure of attending a night of British film music at the BBC Proms. One of their selections was music from the film Genevieve, which featured a harmonica solo by Philip Achille that brought the house down (seriously, it was incredible, and he got a couple of standing ovations). Anyway, according to the IMDB, the original harmonica player was Larry Adler, who apparently was a great harmonica player. He might be a good place to start looking for the Segovia or Hendrix of harmonica players. - dropkick queen

Seconding John Popper. - futility closet

Stevie Wonder bops some harmonica, particularly "Fingertips." Toots Thielemans "Bluesette" is a well-known standard, and Toots might well be your "Segovia of the mouth organ." - paulsc

Read more examples of great harmonica players and songs at Ask Metafilter - or...post some of your own favorites here.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

[quote name='DudeAsInCool' timestamp='1193819989' post='160907']
Fingertips - Little Stevie Wonder

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a_g9KfrjZ60&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a_g9KfrjZ60&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
[/quote]

As far as what Little Walter did, immediately Juke and My Babe comes to mind, but some of his best harmonica (harp) playing was done with Muddy Waters in songs such as Mannish Boy, Hoochie Coochie Man, and especially Forty Days.

I think you guys forget Bob Dylan on your list as well.