Jump to content
BeatKing.com | Music News | Downloads | Forums | Videos | Lyrics

Nothing's next smartphone might launch in the U.S.


NelsonG

Recommended Posts

Nothing phone

Nothing Phone (1), the first smartphone from OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei's tech startup Nothing, was a breath of fresh air in the somewhat stale Android phone scene when it launched this summer. With a cool, transparent design, decent specs, several unique features, and a fair price, it was an interesting alternative to far pricier flagships from renowned phone makers.

But the Nothing Phone (1), which was available in Europe, Middle East, and Asia, never officially came to the U.S. and Canada.

This might change by the time Nothing launches its second smartphone. Company founder Pei spoke to CNBC and explained why the Nothing Phone (1) never reached America.

“The reason why we didn’t launch in the U.S. is because you need a lot of additional technical support, to support all the carriers and their unique customizations that they need to make on top of Android. We felt that we weren’t ready before,” he said.

The good news is that Pei claims the company is "in discussions with some carriers in the U.S. to potentially launch a future product there."

Nothing's recently launched Ear (stick) earbuds are available in the U.S. and they're doing quite well, according to Pei, who claims a third of Ear (stick) sales come from the country. According to CNBC, Nothing has sold half a million Phone (1) units, and 600,000 Ear (1) earbuds — the company's other noise-cancelling, wireless charging earbuds — globally so far.

Pei's goals for Nothing are to become profitable in 2024 (the company is still losing money, he said) and, ultimately, to challenge Apple's iPhone in the U.S.

View the full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Our picks

    • Wait, Burning Man is going online-only? What does that even look like?
      You could have been forgiven for missing the announcement that actual physical Burning Man has been canceled for this year, if not next. Firstly, the nonprofit Burning Man organization, known affectionately to insiders as the Borg, posted it after 5 p.m. PT Friday. That, even in the COVID-19 era, is the traditional time to push out news when you don't want much media attention. 
      But secondly, you may have missed its cancellation because the Borg is being careful not to use the C-word. The announcement was neutrally titled "The Burning Man Multiverse in 2020." Even as it offers refunds to early ticket buyers, considers layoffs and other belt-tightening measures, and can't even commit to a physical event in 2021, the Borg is making lemonade by focusing on an online-only version of Black Rock City this coming August.    Read more...
      More about Burning Man, Tech, Web Culture, and Live EventsView the full article
      • 0 replies
    • Post in What Are You Listening To?
      Post in What Are You Listening To?
    • Post in What Are You Listening To?
      Post in What Are You Listening To?
    • Post in What Are You Listening To?
      Post in What Are You Listening To?
    • Post in What Are You Listening To?
      Post in What Are You Listening To?
×
×
  • Create New...