Stevie Wonder - Superstition, Vision

sideshow bob

and this one: Superstition

I tried to find the video of Stevie's classic 74 performance of Living for the city on UK's TOTP but it eludes me.

Still it was a magical era as Stevie grew into his 20's and began to open his experimental wings...with unforgettable results.

I once had the privilege of seeing him play backstage for about 15 of us - he did a full medley of stuff because he wanted to play for 'the people'. nothing like that has ever happened since.

Ooh, I'm so envious.

It seems to be a sad fact of life that no so many recorded performances exist from Stevie's heydey although there are plenty of him dueting with the world and his wife when he was long past his truly productive phase. So it goes with all greats, I suppose, witness Sinatra, similarly dueting with anybody and everybody in his declining years when video had become a much more accessible medium.

The Living for the City one still puzzles me tho. I watched it in 74 so it must still exist in the BBC vaults, somewhere.

Ray Manzarek told me that he believed Stevie stopped being productive when stopped dropping acid! :lol:

And it could be said that Ray Manzarek stopped being productive when Jim Morrison dropped dead. Being productive is a relative term. Does it mean being commercially viable or does it mean satisfying your own creative direction? It's not a given that an artist should be able to produce unique music at every level of their life. Some, like Miles Davis and Van Morrison, are able to do that. Most, however, discover that the well of creativity eventually runs dry. There's no shame to that, and it's not always permanent. Creativity comes in spurts of clarity for most artists, wrapped around phases of more mundane efforts in which they're marking time until the next stroke of genius arises.

And it could be said that Ray Manzarek stopped being productive when Jim Morrison dropped dead. Being productive is a relative term.

:lol:

• 1 month later...