A very strange turn of events...

CTC Command

For everyone here who has been following the news of the death of bear, a disturbing update.

In the course of mourning his death and setting up some sort of memorial, (which some of us here at BeatKing have contributed to) one of the admins over at freethought went looking for bear's obit online. (They had his real name and address because he had participated in the "secret santa" there last xmas.) Nothing turned up. Nothing in any of the local newspapers about an accidental death, not even a death notice, nothing. Other ff's also searched and searched...nothing. Someone else made a timeline of his death to burial based on the information his sister had provided--it came out rather rushed and just added to the oddness of the whole thing. Finally some forensic work on the email address his "sister" used finally connected the rest of the dots...

Re: quiet bear memorial tree

We searched for any accidents, deaths or obits using what we believe to be his full real name, but no luck.

We do however have new information that we'd like to share.

In order to register here, 'Sis' used an old email address that belonged to quiet bear. An email address so unique that there are only 2 returns on Google, both of them posts on a music forum made by a person with over 6k posts named Dave, from Newark, DE, who drifted away from that forum a couple years ago. Quiet Bear once mentioned that he had previously racked up over 6k posts on a music forum, and we believe that's the one.

When liv emailed 'Sis' about the memorial, 'she' made a point of explaining away the fact that the email ID was set to qb's first name and surname initial by claiming to have just created the email in his name, and that he'd be 'horrified' if he knew.

That appears to be untrue, and that's why liv said 'Sis' is not a reliable source.

More damning is that a new user just appeared on that old music forum with the same avatar and birthday, and although he hasn't said as much so far the regulars seem to believe it's their long lost friend. That member just posted there on Tuesday.

In light of this (and some other information that we aren't prepared to share) we have concluded that the death of quiet bear appears to be a fraud, and although we think the Arbor Day fund is an excellent charity we will gladly reimburse anyone who donated money under what appear to be false pretenses.

I've encountered some really weird online behavior before, but this takes the cake.

Never would have guessed this in a million years--he had me fooled.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass this along. wtf.

Anyone who wants to, read the entire 4 page saga and whodunnit here

Also, I am not sure if who else ere donated to the arbor day fund--I did. vm and liv over at FF will refund anyone's money who no longer wants to donate...I'm leaving mine in.

Tree's a good cause.

Why would someone commit a fraud like that...and for what reason? Obviously not to have a tree planted in their name...or to gain sympathy?

Very odd...let's see how it plays out... We should have them hold the Beatking donation until we know more..my opinion

Why would someone commit a fraud like that...and for what reason? Obviously not to have a tree planted in their name...or to gain sympathy?

Very odd...let's see how it plays out... We should have them hold the Beatking donation until we know more..my opinion

After posting there I kicked back like a damn slacker and was waiting for CTC to post here what to do with the money.... so we never sent it.

I've seen shit like this before but looking at the reasoning that went into part of the initial doubt I'd have to say it's faulty. If my mother passed tomorrow you wouldn't find her obit on the net. She's from a small town with no paper of its own. If I passed tomorrow you wouldn't find mine either and I live in a fair sized city. [They have to be manually submitted here and nobody would, they'd post it in my hometown paper which doesn't have an online presence.]

In addition, the notion that falling in the woods and dying from a head injury isn't a remote possibility, as one person suggested at FF. If you fall in the woods, you get hurt or you don't. I went to school with a guy that laid in the woods for almost 24 hours after a couple of careless hunters shot him by accident and decided to leg it. What were the odds of that one?

Anyway, it would appear that the majority of the weight of the suspicion rests on the email addy and some new membership at a forum that he may have or did frequent. Shared birthdays aren't really a religious experience. I suppose I'd like a better understanding of the email theory.

I suppose I want to see the best in people. If he's alive, great.

After posting there I kicked back like a damn slacker and was waiting for CTC to post here what to do with the money.... so we never sent it.

I've seen shit like this before but looking at the reasoning that went into part of the initial doubt I'd have to say it's faulty. If my mother passed tomorrow you wouldn't find her obit on the net. She's from a small town with no paper of its own. If I passed tomorrow you wouldn't find mine either and I live in a fair sized city. [They have to be manually submitted here and nobody would, they'd post it in my hometown paper which doesn't have an online presence.]

In addition, the notion that falling in the woods and dying from a head injury isn't a remote possibility, as one person suggested at FF. If you fall in the woods, you get hurt or you don't. I went to school with a guy that laid in the woods for almost 24 hours after a couple of careless hunters shot him by accident and decided to leg it. What were the odds of that one?

Anyway, it would appear that the majority of the weight of the suspicion rests on the email addy and some new membership at a forum that he may have or did frequent. Shared birthdays aren't really a religious experience. I suppose I'd like a better understanding of the email theory.

I suppose I want to see the best in people. If he's alive, great.

Well said.

Fraudster doesn't ring true for the bear that posted here. I think an open mind on this is the way to go until the current speculation turns to absolute fact. It'll be interesting to find out what really happened or didn't. Preferably didn't. What Shawn said...

The sad thing about the internet is that perception is not always a good replacement for the perspective of knowing someone in 'reality'. Even then, we often see through a glass darkly...

I really didn't want to believe it...when vm first voiced his suspicions I was thinking wtf buddy, but as evidence started piling up, or lack of...

The relationships we forge online are so real yet so tenuous, how do you really "know" someone from just the internet? Then again, sometimes we don't even know the people we know.

Take my ex-wife, for example. :lol: