Okay, I'm going to go for it...

sideshow bob

For me, The Sex Pistols were the most important group of the 70's.

The Clash may have been more musically competent [and I've got alot of time for The Clash] but it was The Pistols who changed everything for me.

There was nothing going on in the 70's in the UK for teenagers until the Pistols happened! I've heard older people talk of Abba being the equivilant of the Beatles [who I also have alot of time for] but Abba were never a young person's group. For God's sake my dad liked Abba! How satgnant can a music scene get than this: your Tory-voting Dad approving of your copy of "Waterloo" and "Knowing me, knowing you". Great melodies, don't get me wrong, but phew, exciting, definitely NO.

The Pistols chant of "No future!" really went home for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OB9qbx0yb0

I was about to turn 17 when this single was released and I still love it's sheer bloody-minded honesty now!

Rock was pretty good in the 70s up until disco came in. So Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, the Kinks, John Lennon, etc, and a ton of other bands were all making great music during the 70s. You might have a point in the latter half of the decade - but then again, Bob Marley was still kicking, too.

Abba? :lol:

Thanx Dude.

The phrase at the time was "dinasaurs".

Bands like Zepp and Pink Floyd became increasingly self-indulgent playing to stadiums that were so huge you were lucky to see the band in real "life". They were increasingly irrelevant "images" in the distance to most fans.

Led Zepp's 1977 album was entitled The song remains the same. Said it all, really...

I agree with most of the above and especially Sex Pistols, Pink Floyd and Bob Marley. I wouldn't include bands like The Kinks though. They were good but not important. The above three are pioneers.

Velvet Underground?

Thanx Dude.

The phrase at the time was "dinasaurs".

Bands like Zepp and Pink Floyd became increasingly self-indulgent playing to stadiums that were so huge you were lucky to see the band in real "life". They were increasingly irrelevant "images" in the distance to most fans.

Led Zepp's 1977 album was entitled The song remains the same. Said it all, really...

But what about the first half of the decade?

Velvet Underground had split by 1970, I think. Their album Loaded was dated 1970 [as I remember, hope memory is reliable] containing the classic "Sweet Jane" was more like an album put together by the record company after the band had disbanded than an actual studio album.

Bob Marley was someone that the punk movement regarded as a kindred spirit as celebrated by Bob hiomself in "Punky raggae party" [b-side of Jamming, and not included on the Exodus album for good reason, but nevertheless important as a statement of solidarity].

But what about the first half of the decade?

The Sex Pistols didn't exist in the firsr half of the decade.

They sprang into existence as a reaction to the increasing self-indulgence

of the "monster" bands like Floyd and Zepp.

Incidentally I think Led Zeppelin 3 is their best album. I know it's not a popular choice [being acoustic] and it's the worst selling album in the Zeppelin catalogue but I do think that is the album where Plant & Paige were at their most inspired.

Edited by sideshow bob

The Sex Pistols didn't exist in the firsr half of the decade.

They sprang into existence as a reaction to the increasing self-indulgence

of the "monster" bands like Floyd and Zepp.

Incidentally I think Led Zeppelin 3 is their best album. I know it's not a popular choice [being acoustic] and it's the worst selling album in the Zeppelin catalogue but I do think that is the album where Plant & Paige were at their most inspired.

Your statement was that they were the Best Band In The 70s - so that opens up the whole decade competition-wise. The Sex Pistols were important once rock had been corporatized - but in the early 70s, there was still innovation. FYI, a classmatte of mine, Alex Cox, made the film Sid and Nancy, which I thought was pretty good.

Your statement was that they were the Best Band In The 70s

He actually said 'most important' which doesn't necessarily mean 'best'...

Your statement was that they were the Best Band In The 70s - so that opens up the whole decade competition-wise. The Sex Pistols were important once rock had been corporatized - but in the early 70s, there was still innovation

Oh yes, good point, sorry for seeming to trip you up when you were actually in the right, Dude.

I would argue then that the Pistols were the most important band of the 70s because they renewed music in a way that Zeppelin and Floyd didn't.

Those two bands were past their best by the late 70s and we all needed a kick in the behind.

Never mind the bollocks certainly gave me one!

Umma's post shows the Pistols only appearance on Top of the Pops, traditionally [well for the last couple of years, anyway] the preserve of neatly clad acts like Abba.

It's hard to believe now how shocking this performance was at the time!

Here's something else:

Edited by sideshow bob

He actually said 'most important' which doesn't necessarily mean 'best'...

Ach who cares who was important! :lol: The Sex Pistols certainly had their moment in the sun - it's too bad their message didn't take a stronger hold; look what's being produced today by the Majors

Ach who cares who was important! :lol: The Sex Pistols certainly had their moment in the sun - it's too bad their message didn't take a stronger hold; look what's being produced today by the Majors

yeah! Just you sit there in your wrongness and be wrong!

For me, The Sex Pistols were the most important group of the 70's.

The Clash may have been more musically competent [and I've got alot of time for The Clash] but it was The Pistols who changed everything for me.

There was nothing going on in the 70's in the UK for teenagers until the Pistols happened! I've heard older people talk of Abba being the equivilant of the Beatles [who I also have alot of time for] but Abba were never a young person's group. For God's sake my dad liked Abba! How satgnant can a music scene get than this: your Tory-voting Dad approving of your copy of "Waterloo" and "Knowing me, knowing you". Great melodies, don't get me wrong, but phew, exciting, definitely NO.

The Pistols chant of "No future!" really went home for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OB9qbx0yb0

I was about to turn 17 when this single was released and I still love it's sheer bloody-minded honesty now!

what he said, apart from the first bit of the last sentence. :)