Nursing Home cat predicts deaths

Warflower

Oscar, a hospice cat at the Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Providence, R.I., seems to have an uncanny knack for predicting when nursing home patients are going to die, by curling up next to them during their final hours.

His accuracy, observed in 25 cases, has led the staff to call family members once he has chosen someone. It usually means they have less than four hours to live.

:huh:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959718/?GT1=10150

post-9-1185468114_thumb.jpg

Imagine having that cat crawl up next to you though,

that has to be terrifying for the patients.

Too right... the old heart would give up even if it wasn't your turn :lol:

My sister claims to have the ability to sense oncoming death after over a decade working in nursing homes.

I'm sure it could be rather simple if what were happening were a slow metabolic death, with the body shutting down slowly... the chemical reactions occurring would have to give off some kind of scent... detectable or not.

we read about a kitty who could do this way back in 2000 or 2001 (and we think it was in the same nursing home). someone brought this to our attention the other day and we thought it was the same kitty until we read that this one is only two years iold.

way back when, when i got the flu in DE, Chris pointed out how Peter wouldn't budge from my side and we remembered the Kitty of Death ... i dunno, all we can remember is that the former kitty was also in a nursing home in the NE (of the States) and after his magical powers/ESP or whatever was pointed out, two old ladies refused to have him in their rooms anymore.

because of this, i smell a scam as well.

That happened to me, Slum. I got sick for a couple weeks (still dont know what it was) and my previous cat wouldnt budge from me, either. They have a sixth sense

we read about a kitty who could do this way back in 2000 or 2001 (and we think it was in the same nursing home). someone brought this to our attention the other day and we thought it was the same kitty until we read that this one is only two years iold.

way back when, when i got the flu in DE, Chris pointed out how Peter wouldn't budge from my side and we remembered the Kitty of Death ... i dunno, all we can remember is that the former kitty was also in a nursing home in the NE (of the States) and after his magical powers/ESP or whatever was pointed out, two old ladies refused to have him in their rooms anymore.

because of this, i smell a scam as well.

Have you not noticed that cats also will smother you if you are depressed?

While cats are a little less social than dogs, they do have a good sense of weakness, sadness, sickness, and seem to try to provide comfort...

that, or they are just waiting to suck out your soul.

That happened to me, Slum. I got sick for a couple weeks (still dont know what it was) and my previous cat wouldnt budge from me, either. They have a sixth sense

yup, they do. even Hunter's all nice to me if i'm not feeling that OK. Peter? forget it...he was w/me for about 12 years before i first got ill and then he wouldn't leave, not even when Chris put his evening tuna out (Chris ended up bringing it into the bedroom and leaving it on the floor where it was untouched. then he put it on a large plate on the bed cause Petey wouldn't jump down for it; you could tell he was hungry but he just stayed w/me).

i thought it sounded plausible until I read of the same "scam" enamating from the same area some years earlier.

I wonder if somebody could explain to me, if this is a scam then in what way does it benefit the nursing home?

i was wondering about this as well, how they could benefit. maybe just from the attention? i dunno...i wish i could find the article from 2000 or 2001. i just know it happened in a nursing home in the NE. i rang Chris after it was posted at freeA3...we can't find it (he's got the better memory and he remembers this as well).

Have you not noticed that cats also will smother you if you are depressed?

hey shithead! long time, no see. :) :wub: yeah, but i don't mind when i'm smothered by kittyness.

While cats are a little less social than dogs, they do have a good sense of weakness, sadness, sickness, and seem to try to provide comfort... that, or they are just waiting to suck out your soul.

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...