any music industry books I should read?

brian32

Hi. Does anyone know any good music industry books? Specifically, I'm looking for books that deal with the following:

1. The solo musician (NO bands)

2. Deals with computer music

3. Covers aspects of getting music into TV, movies, or video games

4. Good networking tips

5. Covers the dark side of the music industry; pitfalls to watch out for

The book doesn't have to cover all 5, but at least one of the topics. If you know a title, could you let me know what numbers it covers? Thanks.

Hi Brian. I will put a call in to a manager friend and get her suggestions. That may take a day or so. I posted your question at Ask Metafilter and will update this thread when I get more feedback.

First post is in - it's not a book, and it doesnt deal specifically with solo performers, but it does provide an overview

Ludwig_Van suggests: http://www.negativland.com/albini.html (one commenter said it was no longer relevant)

The Auditor recommends: "not a book, but i'd recommend getting a (free) subscription to TapeOp. Even if you're not interested in recording technology per se, every issue has some really substantive interviews w/a diverse set of artists and music recordists..really "in the trenches" stuff.

Safety Fork: Seconds the Tape Op subscription. I think two or three issues back they had a great interview with someone who primarily does music for TV and film. I found it very illuminating, it shed light on the business and practice of doing that kind of work. My dad also reads it just for the artist interviews which he finds to be better than those in the slick music review/journalism type magazines.

Fishmasta says: All You Need To Know About The Music Business by Donald Passman is a good overview of the industry and how it functions in general, and Music Money and Success by Jeff & Todd Brabec is good for an overview of how publishers use songs (this includes standards for licensing in video games, movies, etc.) and what's typical in music contracts (so you don't get screwed by the label). In the interest of full disclosure, the Brabecs were my professors for a semester in college, so I may have some bias, but they know their stuff (VP at ASCAP and major guy at Chrysalis).

(AndrewRaff Heartily seconds the Passman recommendation...Here is a LINK to it.

Rhitzome: Hit Men by Frederic Dannen

BillTron: Music Genres and Corporate Cultures by Keith Negus was a pretty good study of the music industry before the intarweb changed everything. It's not going to teach anyone how to be successful in the music industry, but it will get rid of some of the pretty sheen on the whole endeavor.

Yorick says:I make my (modest) living as a musician, most of it from TV work & used to work for a company that made high end studio equipment.

Through those jobs, I've talked to countless aspiring musicians over the years. I'm on a pretty low rung of the music-ladder, but I'm happy to chat with most people interested in learning from my expereince.

On the other hand, I (and many other working musicians I know) are immediately repulsed when we're approached by people who are clearly following the advice of a "make it in the music biz" book. They come across as if their sincerity was financed by guitar center... it puts them at a disadvantage.

Books that describe how the industry works are still helpful, as are well written interviews like the ones in Tape Op. Books that provide advice on how to "make it" in the industry exist to make people unpleasant.

Subajestad suggests: Ethan Brown's Queens Reigns Supreme: Fat Cat, 50 Cent, and the Rise of the Hip Hop Hustler covers some of your requirements (1, 3, 4, 5) in varying detail, while (2) not at all. If you're a fan of hip-hop/rap there's a lot of historical/anectdotal information.

Ludwig_ Van: Amendment to my last post: I think that article is somewhat dated, but here's what Steve Albini said last week:

2) How true is what you wrote in the problem with music today? Are most of those pitfalls easier to avoid because of less expensive equipment? Just curious.

It is certainly possible to avoid the mainstream industry altogether, but that would have been my advice 15 years ago as well. It remains that if you get involved with the mainstream music business, even today, you're screwed.