TikTok trend reminds people to be kinder to themselves

NelsonG

Collage of TikTok screenshots

Remember that TikTok trend where people posted their unique and sometimes embarrassing fun facts to Olivia Rodrigo’s “enough for you”? Now, a new trend on TikTok is inspiring users to share their childhood photographs as a reminder to be kinder to oneself. 

The sound, created by user @framveu, is a mashup of "Me and My Husband" by Mitski and "Apocalypse" by Cigarettes After Sex. As of June 15, the audio has been used in 103,200 TikToks.

The TikToks typically start with a text that says something similar to “being mean to myself and then realizing I’m also talking about [pronoun],” followed by baby or childhood picture(s) of the user. People are being reminded to give themselves the same grace that they would give to their childhood selves, and it’s pretty wholesome.

TikTok user looks directly at the camera.
Credit: TikTok / alessyafarrugia
TikTok user looks directly at the camera.
Credit: TikTok / officialautumnrose

TikTokker @alessyafarrugia captioned her video "This trend changed my whole perspective," while @officialautumnrose said "I love this trend, I’ve grown into myself so much."

People have also been using the sound to bring awareness to sensitive topics such as eating disorders, self-harm, struggles with self-doubt, and insecurities about physical appearances. The trend is not only a reminder of self-compassion, but one of growth and solidarity.

TikTok user walking in the woods.
im_powering's video drew awareness to eating disorders. Credit: TikTok / im_powering
TikTok user looks directly at camera.
hellomynameisshawn's video was about struggles with self-doubt and self-worth. Credit: TikTok / hellomynameisshawn
TikTok user looks directly at camera.
k4auraman's video was about insecurities with one's physical appearance and struggles with self-worth. Credit: TikTok / k4uraman

While TikTok virality can often feel like it’s all fun and games, trends like this reveal the softer side of the collective — and how virality can be used to create a positive chain reaction in the community. Here’s to healing the inner child in all of us.

View the full article

• 3 weeks later...

I like TikTok because it’s so different. There is a lot of stuff, and everyone will find something for themselves. And I also like some TikTok trends that are sometimes funny and sometimes make you think.  That’s why more and more brands and companies create their account on TikTok to get more attention and mote customers. It is especially crucial to small-scale businesses or independent creators because they can get more attention and orders. It is very important for them to gain followers on TikTok because it brings them orders and income. Some services don’t require money, and you can get followers and likes for free.

Edited by Clotibrut