The best gifts for high school grads

NelsonG

graduates throwing their caps into the air

As you can probably tell by the grad party invitations plastering your fridge, it's high school graduation season. Shopping for a high school grad can be daunting, though. Do you go for something fun or something practical?

You know they'll need plenty of basic, essential items if they're planning on moving, whether that's to a college dorm or to their own apartment. The good news is that they're likely starting with nothing, so you have a ton of room to work with. You could help them stock their place with a coffee maker, a new 4K TV, or pillows.

But you also don't have to opt for something that they need. As nice as practical gifts are, it's a lot more fun to open presents that aren't just utilitarian. Some ideas that are both exciting and still useful: cameras, smartwatches, and headphones.

If we're being honest, what most grads really want is cold hard cash, but if you're looking to get more personal, we have some solid suggestions.

View the full article

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your advice about gifts; I'm just thinking about what to give my children when they finish their studies. They are going to college soon, and I am very worried about how they will live there without me. I understand that they are adults and will be able to take care of themselves, but the parental heart can not just let go of their child. My two daughters will live at the usa miami campus, and even though there will already be everything necessary for a comfortable life, I'm still thinking about what I can give them. So your post is very useful for me; thank you very much.