Rhapsody in Blue, performed by gershwin!!

dsoslglece

Hi,

quite a while ago, I did write something here about old mechanical pianos, and I mentionned that recording made by Gershwin in 1925 of his own Rhapsody in blue...

He played on one of those pianos, and the accompaniment is also recorded on the the same roll, as two extra hands.

And so, quite later on, about a half century, some clever conductor (Michael Tilson Thomas) got (in 1976) the brillant idea to use those rolls, and, having plugged the holes corresponding to the accompaniment, to use a live ensemble to accompany Gershwin (accompaniment exactly copied for speed and general style, on the original accompaniment)... Something like accompanying a ghost concert pianist...

I must confess that I'm not normally a fanatic of jazz or similar types of musics, and that, prior to that recording, well I considered that Rhapsody, to be a bit to much of a syrupy hollywood tube... So, to discover that recording was really a revelation to me...

Instead of a sort of concatenation of bits and pieces difficultly assembled (what is generally heard), when Gershwin plays it, it forms a whole; very solid indeed, and just as firmly constructed as any symphony!

And, by the way, all those parts that I considered to be sirupy, well, I don't think there is time now for syrup! considering the devilish speed he is playing them... one has to put the savety belts on, and to hold on to ones hat!

I don't want to say much more about it, since you'll see for yourself... just one more detail though, about that orchestration, which is the original one (todays generally known one was writen later on, also by Grofé, and for a special occasion).

It is not a Symphonic orchestra, but only a small ensemble: a jazz band, with only 3 winds (but playing each a whole range of wind instruments), lot of percussions of course, and a double-bass, a banjo, a second piano, and 8 violins...

I didn't put of course the whole piece, since I ignore if it is still in existence and under copyrights, but I guess that a short extract could be considered as documentation, or advertising for it (CBS)... anyway, you must feel free to PM me if some problem, or for any other thing.

extrait_Gershwin.mp3

I love so much such witnesses of the past... it puts the clocks back to time again!

Enjoy yourself listening to it...

Edited by dsoslglece