The Delfonics

tpj1965

The Delfonics was a quintessential Philadelphia soul singing group, most popular in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Brothers William and Wilbert Hart formed the group with Randy (Rudy) Cain in high school in the early 1960s.

Philadelphia soul was smoother than traditional soul, strongly influenced by Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound" production, but solidly based in the doo-wop sounds of the 1950s. Randy Cain left the group in 1971, and in 1973 had a hand in formulating Blue Magic when he brought singer-songwriter Ted Mills in to do some writing for W.M.O.T. (We Men Of Talent), and the remaining future members of Blue Magic came in for an audition. Cain was replaced by Major Harris; by then, however, Thom Bell had moved on to produce The Stylistics and later, The Spinners. The Delfonics swiftly produced another album, Alive and Kicking, produced by Stan Watson. However, in the absence of Thom Bell, the Delfonics' career declined sharply, and with the exception of the aforementioned "Hey Love" and the minor hits "When You Get Right Down to It", "I Don't Want To Make You Wait" and "I Told You So", success eluded them after 1975. ("For The Love I Give To You", although popular, was never released as a single.) Most of their songs at this point were written by lead singer William Hart.

Major Harris left and had major success with the song "Love Won't Let Me Wait". Wilbert Hart also left around this time, leaving William Hart as the only original member. New members were brought in, and the group continued for some time. The group then broke up and reformed with William Hart, Randy Cain, and Major Harris. (Wilbert Hart formed his own Delfonics group; the members were Wilbert, Eban Brown (falsetto lead), and Dr. S. Love.) Randy Cain left for a second time, and was replaced by Frank Washington of The Futures.

The Delfonics - Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time

The Delfonics - La La Means I Love You

• 3 months later...