My mom is finally into the technology age

porky

My mom just got her first computer a month ago. She’s pretty good at the point and click thing. She wants to learn Photoshop. It’s pretty cute to see this little 70-year-old lady on the internet. We both got an easy video chat app (Oovoo ) so that we can have conversations without her having to type. I also put voice recognition on her computer, but she prefers typing because she used to be a receptionist and hasn’t used those skills in a while. She is pretty into Neopets too, which I think is funny. Anyone else have tech-savvy parents?

My mother lives in a senior citizens building. A while back they put a couple of computers in the community room there. Had a local high school girl come in and teach the people how to use them. Most of them lost interest pretty quickly, and the program was eliminated.

my mom can't even figure out how to read and write an SMS

neither can mine. :( ages ago we tried to get her an email (only) machine but she wasn't interested.

My mother lives in a senior citizens building. A while back they put a couple of computers in the community room there. Had a local high school girl come in and teach the people how to use them. Most of them lost interest pretty quickly, and the program was eliminated.

sad sad sad, for the residents there and for other old people who have no interest in e-communicating.

you're very lucky, porky.

Why is it that older people are completely befuddled by technology. It's not like they're stupid, or anything.

But on the other hand, I worked in a City Rescue Mission thrift store for a little while. A 70+ y/o woman came in looking for hard drives. She told me she was building her own computer. The only thing she didn't understand was how to install Windows. Said her grandson was going to do that for her. I was impressed!!

My step-mom is in IT, where I received much of my hand-me-downs over the past 11 years. I took off on my own about 4 or 5 years ago. My dad has little to nothing to do with computers. His wife is his interface. But give him a big screen TV, HD programming and WWE, and he's set. My real mom dabbles with the computer, but nothing major. My sisters are a little better, but nowhere near the frequency I am. I think my brother barely got a glimpse of Windows 98 before he got locked up. My grandmother is a lost cause at this point, though it would have been nice in the past.

Why is it that older people are completely befuddled by technology. It's not like they're stupid, or anything.

But on the other hand, I worked in a City Rescue Mission thrift store for a little while. A 70+ y/o woman came in looking for hard drives. She told me she was building her own computer. The only thing she didn't understand was how to install Windows. Said her grandson was going to do that for her. I was impressed!!

Yeah, my dad (who is really good at computers because he is a mathematician, and he's 68) explained to me that the simple skills we take for granted, like pointing and clicking - weren't common knowledge before the days of the computer. Just the idea that an icon on the screen can stand for something else isn't something that every older person understands.

Those of you with technophobic/elder folks I suggest two things: Oovoo is great for chat because it's really easy to use and all the buttons are big and you can do video chat if you have a webcam which older people really like (at least my mom does). Also I got my mom that Jitterbug cell phone which is cool cuz it has big buttons and a 24 hour hotline so she can call them instead of me if she has a problem using it. :)

Technology can be extremely difficult to comprehend when you get older, and that makes some people fearful of even trying it. I had never even sat in front of a computer when I bought my first one in 1997 at age 45. I was literally afraid to open the box...it sat unopened for three days before I worked up the nerve to try it. I truly expected it to explode when I plugged it in. :rolleyes:

I remember when my grandma incountered the mobile phone for the first time. My cousin answered the phone when he was in her house and she asked, "how did they know you were here?"

laughs galore

My Dad is a computer whiz... he rings me when stuck... takes two hours to explain how to do something step by step considering he reads all the terms and conditions/licensing before he'll click anything... then he's mister know it all... guru to all his pals. It can be a frustrating experience!

Here is the download link to Oovoo and a pic of the Jitterbug phone - great ideas of seniors

Oh sweet, that's cool. I apparently could use some launching into the new century myself. Anything beyond basic text baffles me. I started using computers so long ago that graphics and attachments are still a problem for me. Maybe I need Oovoo and jitterbug too. Actually, I'm good with cell phones... weird that.