A question about videos cameras

bear

I hope someone can help me out, or at least lead me in the right direction, anyway.

I recently decided to purchase a video camera. I was figuring, since I just got a new computer, and a new digital camera, that I might as well go all the way and get a video camera, too.

I want to get one of those ones where you record onto a disc, and put it right into the tower. However, the guy at the radio shack was telling me I need a 'video capture card'. Then he starts telling me all these numbers and stuff, which I simply do not grasp.

So, I say, ok, what about this camera? (a different one), Then he starts telling me, in addition to a video capture card, I'll also be needing an adapter for my usb port to plug in from the camera to the the tower. (this camera had a really small video cassette instead of a disc). Then he starts throwing a bunch of numbers at me again, and again, I have no idea what he's saying, and I tell him so.

"I don't understand what you're trying to tell me. I don't know about this stuff, ok? Can you explain it so I 'get it'?"

so, he sighs, like I'm a real inconvenience because I don't spend all day working with electronics for a living like he does. He gets out a piece of paper, and I'm thinking, ok, good, he's going to sketch it out for me so I'll understand.

So what does he do? He starts writing all these numbers and letters, instead of saying them. By now, we're both exasperated, because I telling him "Dude, I DO NOT UNDERSTAND what you're trying to tell me"

So, finally, I just left. I'm not the type to just buy something without doing my homework first. So far, what I gather is, I need a video capture card.

What is that? He said they're like, 100 bucks!!!!

Man, this is a brand new computer. Shouldn't it have all the bells and whistles already???

I don't know much about it but you should be able to buy one that records straight onto a DVD (link). I bought a Sony Digital 8 a few years ago which records on tape but comes complete with software to automatically burn a DVD on your computer. It's all pretty simple. You just need a USB connection and the software loaded. No need for an extra video card or adapters or anything else.

It sounds like the bloke in the shop didn't know his arse from his elbow since he couldn't be more helpful. I'd buy somewhere else if I were you.

True. Cameras connect straight to the pc and the software is always included. A video card is needed to connect tv, satellite and stuff although the price is much lower. There are expensive cards as well but it's for professionals.

Getting a camera with a dvd recorder on it will cost you a bit more although it is easier for you. It is very simple stuff. Post here any questions you have.

As for the numbers he was throwing at you, here's a small run-down.

CPU [central processing unit] - Now measured in Giga Hertz i.e. 3.5 GHz - the higher the number, the faster your computer's mind is "thinking".

RAM [random access memory] - Measured in size [megabytes or gigabytes - 1024 mb = 1 gb] more than speed i.e 1 gb - You can think of this stuff as a table, the higher the number the larger the table and the more items you can place on the table (programs running).

{These first two things in concert determine how fast your computer runs. A superfast cpu does you no good if you have limited ram and vice versa. Limited ram will lead to the computer bogging down as it tries to run and will require you to close as many programs as possible to open up some "room on the table". A slow cpu is simply slow, the computer takes a long time to do it's calculations.}

HDD [ Hard disk drive] - Measured in Giga Bytes - Strictly the storage of your computer; the measurement of how much you can store before you need more room to install more programs, capture or download more video, place more songs on the disk, etc.

Video capture card - A method of importing video to your computer from the camera in a language your computer can speak.

-- ------------

You can check some of the stats of the computer you purchased by right clicking "my computer" and choosing "properties". On the general tab of the window that pops up you should see the speed of your cpu and the amount of ram installed. [admittedly these are windows xp directions and you might have windows vista but it's likely that this didn't change]