Dinosaur Jr - Freak Scene

CTC Command

Footage of Dinosaur Jr playing the song "Freak Scene" on the 1991 European tour with Sonic Youth and Nirvana. The song is the first track on Dino Jr's 1988 Bug. The crowd here is as much a part of the performance as the band is.

And here's the video that accompanied the original recording from Bug. Arguably "indie rock's greatest guitar performance and the band's greatest pop song" according to Pitchfork, J Mascis aptly demonstrates here why he is revered as an alterna-rock guitar god and one of the most influential rock musicians of the '90s.

Seen enough to eye you

But I've seen to much to try you

It's always weirdness while you

Dig it much too much to fry you

The weirdness flows between us

Anyone can tell to see us

Freak scene just can't believe us

Why can't it just be cool and free us?

Seen enough to eye you

But I've seen to much to try you

It's always weirdness while you

Dig it much too much to fry you

The weirdness flows between us

Anyone can tell to see us

Freak scene just cant believe us

Why can't it just be cool and leave us?

It's so fucked I can't believe it

If there's a way I wish we'd see it

How could it work just cant conceive it

Oh what a mess its just to leave it

Sometimes I don't thrill you

Sometimes I think I'll kill you

Just dont let me fuck up will you?

cause when I need a friend its still you

What a mess...

Wow - he really lets loose on that guitar live! Curious, since you play guitar, how does he get that jet sound...?

It's caused by a foot pedal called a "phaser" or "phase shifter." Jimi Hendrix pioneered the use of this effect with a device called the Univox Uni-Vibe. I don't know what particular type J Mascis uses, though I am curious to find out, if anyone happens to know.

I do have one, as you have rightly guessed, an Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Phaser. Quite the psychedelic little unit!

eh_smallstone3_001.jpg

It's caused by a foot pedal called a "phaser" or "phase shifter." Jimi Hendrix pioneered the use of this effect with a device called the Univox Uni-Vibe. I don't know what particular type J Mascis uses, though I am curious to find out, if anyone happens to know.

I do have one, as you have rightly guessed, an Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Phaser. Quite the psychedelic little unit!

eh_smallstone3_001.jpg

I hear their are some boxes which include wa-was, phasers, and other tools - any idea what that would be and the cost?