Microsoft dropping DRM from Zune Music Store

method77

"The EMI announcement on Monday was not exclusive to Apple," said Katy Asher, a Microsoft spokeswoman on the Zune team, in an e-mail to the IDG News Service today. She said Microsoft has been talking with EMI and other record labels "for some time now" about offering unprotected music on its Zune players in an effort to meet the needs of its customers.

"Consumers have made it clear that unprotected music is something they want," Asher said. "We plan on offering it to them as soon as our label partners are comfortable with it."

more...

DRM limits where you can play your song after your purchase it. Who wants to buy a song and then not be able to play it wherever you want. eMusic sells music without DRM. Same for Amazon, but they are selling full albums. Most of the electronic websites do.

Not sure I answered your question; if not, let me know

Micro$oft offering DRM free music??

:yikes:

hopefully cause they're desperate, hahahahahaha. fuckers.

I feel the same way, but yet I sit here and type this using Windows XP.

:mellow:

as most do. one mo' time, once you go Mac, you never go back. :)

I think that's going to change. You guys starting to see applications becoming web-based? This is the direction we are moving to. Web-based applications. Microsoft is not seeing the shift or is slow to respond. Think about it. Everyone uses a web-based email account because you can check it from anywhere. Don't you think outlook should be web-based? There are other applications that are moving to web-based. Google is already seeing it and they will be where Microsoft was years ago when IBM said "it's the hardware that sells not the software Bill".

i hate web-based email apps. i use apple mail when at home and my site's webmail only when away.

Hey slum_goddess,

Just curious. What do you hate about web-based email?

I think web-based mail is ok and I have G-Mail, but I like the idea of controlling my own email, so I also still use entourage.

..not everybody has broadband or cable/fibre optic/satellite or whatever...especially in asia...most web-based apps and webmail sites don`t work too well on dialup...in my experience some of them don`t work too well on broadband either....

Hey slum_goddess,

Just curious. What do you hate about web-based email?

well, for starters, i have my mail app running and can practically see new mail fly in apart from the little red dot/flag on the mail icon on my dock that changes numbers of unread mails. and i find it a drag to keep refreshing web-based mail apps cause one must go from page to page to reply, to delete &c. as well, accessing things i've stored in folders is much easier for me to do w/my mail app. but my webmail is great for when i'm away, i'd just prefer not to use it all the time.

when i first moved here i asked so many of my friends why their addys ended in hotmail.uk or yahoo.uk or whatever and why they wreren't using the mal apps that came w/their machines. the general reason had something to do w/webmail being much safer (don't really remember cos i tuned out but i do believe they're correct). as well, i hate clicking my head off; i dig wasting time my way, lol.

i'm into usability and accesssability for all --- there's a really good book called 'don't make me think' about UIs and such and the less clicks the better (i'm simplifying it obviously).